CAT 259D FTL13386 So the previous owner of this CTL tore the bucket inclinometer off along with the plastic housing of the deutsch connector. I got tired of seeing the solid yellow triangle on the display so I decided to install a new inclinometer (458-1051). I installed the new inclinometer with new bracket, cut and re-terminated the deutsch connector, the wires looked a little pinched. Immediately the solid yellow triangle changed to a flashing yellow triangle. The machine has the basic dumb display but I have CAT ET so I thought "no worries" I'll just plug in and see what the alarm is. But there are NO active alarms! NO active events either. Strange... So I warmed up the machine and did the bucket level calibration procedure thru ET with Success. But the flashing yellow alert remains... The bucket leveling function engages (green indicator) and works just fine. I then unplugged the Inclinometer: Solid yellow triangle. Active DTC: 3700-3 (Inclinometer Voltage above normal) as expected. Logged DTC: 41-4 (8 Volt DC supply below normal) happened when I unplugged, I think. I then plugged the Inclinometer back in: Flashing yellow triangle. Active DTC: none Logged DTC: 3700-3 (Inclinometer Voltage above normal) 41-4 (8 Volt DC supply below normal) I back probed the connector with the sensor connected to check for Voltage drop; 7.95VDC without fluctuation. I also probed the signal output but like a dufuss I just checked VDC and not duty cycle. I'm assuming this is a PWM sensor but nonetheless, the voltage seemed to increase/decrease based on the angle of the tilt. I also monitored the angle reading thru ET live status and it increases/decreases as I tilt up and down. Why is this yellow triangle flashing with no active alarms in ET!? ugh I'm no mechanic by any means but I try to maintain the equipment I own. This one has me confused. Hopefully this is a common thing and someone can say, "Oh this happens all the time, little bug in the software, you just need to flip this and scratch that and that'll fix it" lol On a side note: I did notice in ET that "Bucket leveling" is installed but "Return to Dig" is not installed. These two systems work together and I think the calibration procedure mentions both these functions. Probably has nothing to do with it but I'm just thinking out loud at this point. If anyone has any suggestions, Please share.
I don’t have access to the operation & maintenance Manual at the moment but IIRC that lamp serves way more than just one function. Maybe something like a plugged hydraulic filter, air filter, or similar. Not exactly sure. Something like that would explain why you still have a flashing light but no Active Codes/Events. It could also potentially be something emissions-related. A photo of the warning light you are referring to would probably not go amiss either. You would need to get hold of a copy. Search the web for Cat Publication reference SEBU9084. Check Post #15 on this thread. I think it has a pdf of the section regarding controls & warning lights from SEBU9084 attached to it. HeavyEquipmentForums
Thank you for the quick link to the operation & maintenance manual. I've read thru but nothing really jumped out to me. It mostly refers to the fancy screen. The circled icon in yellow is what I was referring to. It's the basic dumb screen. I thought ET would show anything and everything so the dumb screen was of little concern. It's solid on when the Inclinometer sensor is unplugged but flashes once it's plugged in. I would think that a solid on icon indicates a problem and a blinking icon indicates a more severe problem. I remember a bad speed sensor some time ago caused it to blink. But sure enough ET showed that fault and pointed me right to the problem. Perhaps you're correct. Maybe I'm not seeing the forest for the trees. My mind has been stuck on this Inclinometer sensor. I was not aware that ET would not see a DTC if there was a plugged filter or emissions issue.
The more I think about it the more I think it’s emissions-related. Try this link to a complete version of the O&M Manual, pages 214 & 215. https://www.gawest.com/assets/uploads/CAT-289.pdf
It was the dang cab beeper! duh Behind the top right console, to the right of the display sits a small speaker/beeper. Previous owner had unplugged it I suppose. 3 hours of troubleshooting and 3 minutes to fix. Thanks for all your help. This forum is a great resource.
Sick to death of the (Action Alarm) beeper going off all the time because there were Active Codes I’ll bet. In theory the Action Alarm should create Code if it is not working. I’m surprised that it didn’t.
Update to this thread. I checked the troubleshooting guides and if the Action Alarm (buzzer) is non-functional it apparently does not create an Active Diagnostic Code. Colour me surprised.........