Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 289D3 wiring diagram help!

CedarInnovations · 2026-02-10 17:06

Hello, first time poster here. I'm looking for some wiring schematics or diagrams for a 289D3. I'm having the dreaded E459-2 fault randomly appear and disappear. I'm thinking a main harness issue somewhere and want to be prepared when I go to chasing wires. Any help with diagrams is much appreciated. Thank you! Serial# CAT0289DJJX904309

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2026-02-10 19:01

    Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic. Regarding the E459 Event, try searching the Skid Steer and CTL sections of the forum just using the search term "E459". Pretty much every different failure mode and solution that has been identified up to now ought to pop up in the results. There will be quite a few so brace yourself. One of the first basic things to check is the engine block to chassis ground cable for cleanliness of the terminals and correctly tightened hardware.

  2. #2Simon C2026-02-16 14:22

    Spent some time on your schematic following the Can High from the machine ECM Pin 25 to everyplace it went after the splice. Wondering how many hours on your machine, and does it live outside or inside when not in use. There is a lot of plugs the wires pass through, but they can be eliminated one at a time with the proper equipment. Have you been looking at it at all, just wondering.? Simon C

  3. #3CedarInnovations2026-02-16 14:31

    Simon, Get this…. Before chasing wires and spending lots of hours, I started super basic. I had an odd feeling that the issue was relay related. I could hear/feel the ecm relay click on with the key switch, but I replaced it anyways. The machine used to struggle starting multiple times a day, now with the new relay it has not acted up once. It’s been about 4 days of no issues. So I’m crossing my fingers that it was relay related. Machine has 2800 hrs so I’m sure the harness isn’t in the best shape and it gets left outside for most of its life.

  4. #4Simon C2026-02-16 15:52

    Unclean power to the computer will not be tolerated, not atleast with these multiple computer controlled units. Do yourself a favour and using high air pressure, blow out your alternator as they tend to pack with dirt which causes them to get hotter than designed. They diodes will burn out sooner if too hot for too long. Just watched a video lately where a car was not running properly, after a lot of parts the scope came out to find an alternator putting out too much AC ripple voltage, computer would not accept it and made the speedometer act wierd. But be carefull of the positive post of alternator as it is live and will flash hard from a metal blow gun end if a cap is not on it. Glad you got her going and thanks for replying. Simon C