Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 259D – Replacing Hydraulic Hose to Drive Motor

Satish · 2019-12-07 05:48

Mine is leaking. Does anyone have a parts schematic for this? The left drive motor hose blew and all the fluid leaked out of the machine causing it to stop. How hard is this to change? The machine is in a very very bad spot in my backyard in tons of mud. Can I fill it with hydraulic oil and attempt to move it? The cab flips up so obviously the inside connection to the hose is a piece of cake. Even routing it to the outside looks easy. Just the connection to the drive motor is the issue.

Replies20
  1. #192U 34062019-12-07 10:43

    Easiest way I've found is to jack up the machine and slide the track frame abour halfway off the torsion axles. Gives you about another 6 inches of room to get in there. That hose setup is a pretty ****-poor design IMO. Hoses are always rubbing thru on the frame or guard. I would suggest inspecting all your other hoses as well.

  2. #2Satish2019-12-07 10:50

    Do you need to pull the tracks off to move the undercarriage outward off the torsion axles?

  3. #392U 34062019-12-07 12:44

    Tracks can stay on. Should be able to just take the two round retainer plates off the ends of the torsion axles and gently slide it out a couple inches. I seem to recall the 259D's have a short axle shaft at the back so you might not be able to slide it out as far as a larger machine. If need be you could always slack the track off and pop it just off the sprocket for a little more room to get at the fittings on the motor.

  4. #4Satish2019-12-07 13:04

    Yeah I believe you're right. The torsion axle in the back is short. And problem is that the damn machine is sitting in a bunch of mud and muck on an incline. Ever tow one of these with a truck up a hill?

  5. #5Satish2019-12-07 13:04

    Or how easy is it to take the track off just the roller?

  6. #6DB22019-12-07 13:12

    In my experience with hydrostatic systems and blown drive hoses the oil will come out faster than it goes in. Yoink it out of the mud somehow.

  7. #7ianjoub2019-12-07 15:23

    I was able to pour fluid in my 287b and load it on a trailer. It went through 10 gallons... I pulled the track off of mine to replace the hose(s). I have a different undercarriage setup though (ASV).

  8. #8DB22019-12-07 15:32

    I guess it depends on if it’s an actual travel hose or one of the ancillary ones (ie case drain) Also depends on whether it’s a pinhole or rupture. With a drive hose that has burst it can’t develop pressure to turn the motor depending on direction. I’ve gone so far as to cap off one side to get out of a situation. YMMV

  9. #9Satish2019-12-07 17:59

    That’s a thought...should I open the cab and cap off that hose? I have a feeling it’s the left forward motor. If I cap it off but still leave the other one uncapped, will I be able to drive backwards / reverse at least? Or is the hydraulic system for the final drive motor a continuous circuit?

  10. #10DB22019-12-07 19:35

    Not being familiar with the system I wouldn’t want ill advise you. Perhaps some one else here has more experience.

  11. #11Mbar2019-12-09 16:19

    Did one back in the summer in the middle of a busy job. Seems like I used a crows foot and extension with out having to move anything. Only a little cussing required. Always check your cab locks befor climbing in there

  12. #12Satish2019-12-09 23:35

    Thanks. The CAT field service tech came to the sight and spent 3 hours screwing with it and got it all handled.

  13. #13DoyleX2019-12-10 06:46

    Takes minutes to get the track and frame off. Worth the extra work for ease of installation. Our sub par dealer sleeves the new hose in a bigger hose. Doubles the service life!

  14. #14Satish2019-12-10 08:45

    Problem was that the machine was stuck in mud and half the track was engulfed. Plus, I’m in Michigan and the ground was totally frozen AND the machine was on an incline. Anyhow, after hours of tinkering in the cold rain, he swapped the hose and all is well.

  15. #15hosspuller2019-12-10 09:59

    CAT Tech earned his money ... What ever you paid, it was worth it.

  16. #16Satish2019-12-10 11:39

    Yeah he definitely was very diligent and made it happen. He was very courteous, secured all the hoses and double and triple checked all his work. He operated the machine for 10 minutes and rechecked all fluids on level ground; finally left me with a 3/4 container of the HYDO 10 fluid in case the system "burps" an air pocket. Highly recommend Caleb at Michigan CAT (Novi location).

  17. #17hosspuller2019-12-10 12:04

    Call his boss... and let them know you're pleased with his work and the adverse conditions he did it in. Techs are always pushed for less time on the job. Shop work time is different than working in mud, machine on a hill, and cold rain dripping down one's back. Everybody appreciates a kind word.

  18. #18NCSteve2024-11-26 20:36

    Has this job today. It was one of the -08 hoses under the main drive hose. Anyone know what these hoses are called. There are 5 total. Two drive, these two and then a -04 on top of motor. Thanks.

  19. #19ozarkag2024-11-27 19:33

    Small hoses are 2 speed, Park release and case drain. Case drain will be a 08, not sure on the other

  20. #20NCSteve2024-11-28 08:36

    Thanks for the reply. My mistake - it was a -06 hose. Sounds like a 2-speed hose. It was rubbed thru entering the frame. I sleeved the replacement.