Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Kubota CTL issues

brownstande · 2019-12-08 07:11

Hello to heavy equipment forum users out there. I'm looking for a contact number or email for a department above Kubota's "customer satisfaction department" I'll try to make my stories short...Purchased a new avl90 in 2016, motor went with 513 hours due to emissions. 2 months downtime and Kubota was NO help whatsoever. was forced to trade it in while I was waiting for a new motor. Purchased a avl95. It has had several minor emissions issues and now is using antifreeze, I suspect it is a head/head gasket issue.Only 630 hours on this one. Once again Kubota CS is giving me the run around and will not give me a contact number in order to speak with another department before I seek legal counsel. Thanks !

Replies26
  1. #1Tags2019-12-08 10:52

    Sucks having problems with machines and bad dealer support. I'm just curious though, what related to the emissions caused the engine to go in your SVL90 I'm assuming-2? I've also heard issues with the 90-2 and the 95 when the units are not run hard and are left to idle a lot as well as operators neglecting to let the unit regen. Hope you get the problem sorted out, never a good feeling having a machine go down...

  2. #2KSSS2019-12-08 21:45

    Sorry to hear about the issues, I have to ask, why did you buy another one? Things happen and I get that, but after taking two months to fix it, I am curious what made you double down on another?

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-12-12 17:11

    I'd guess trade in value.

  4. #4heymccall2019-12-12 17:22

    I got this guy when I had kubota issues. Sorry, no phone number.

  5. #5brownstande2019-12-14 07:15

    Sorry that I haven't replied sooner but to answer a couple of questions... The reason why the 90 model engine went (in my opinion) is due to the excessive heat in the cylinders during regen. They regen the same way as a ford 6.4 powerstroke does. Need I say more ? ha. According to 2 dealers, they have replaced many engines in these models. And the reason why I bought another Kubota is because I was forced too. My 90 was down 2 months and the new motor wasn't even in their possession yet ! So while my machine was still apart, I needed to trade it in so I could get back to work. Update: I'm picking up the 95 today. It was a minor issue and all of new updated turbo intake pipes are installed.

  6. #6KSSS2019-12-15 13:56

    I can understand that, hopefully things are more smooth from this point forward.

  7. #7brownstande2019-12-19 07:19

    P.S. and thank you heymccall for the referral. I wish that I would have posted my issues with the first machine on here instead of staying quiet. FYI is anyone is contemplating buying a Kubota 95 model, I would still stay clear of them. There are more issues coming on the horizon... I recently received a pamphlet from Kubota on the DEF system and a "coupon book" for 3 free 2.5 gallon pails of "Kubota" def fluid. My local dealer is aware of this but they haven't been able to get the fluid as of yet. Each coupon is dated with a expiration date. I'm allowed to receive 1 container per month, the first coupon expires on 12/30/19 but as I've said, my dealer has none in stock. Furthermore, what happens when you have used the 7.5 gallon allotment ? ha

  8. #8mg23612019-12-20 05:13

    I don't know anything about Kubotas, but when I see "using antifreeze" on a machine with a DEF system I always think "EGR Cooler"?

  9. #9Vetech632019-12-20 07:18

    Kubotas cant take excessive heat for long. They will crack heads like clockwork.

  10. #10KSSS2019-12-20 11:18

    I know this motor in the Taki machines is having DEF related issues, Kubota's issues are well known. What I am not hearing is much from is Cat which also uses this engine. Does CAT manage this engine in a way that the engine doesn't see the failure rate? Or are the CAT failures just not as well known?

  11. #11TDI guy2019-12-22 17:14

    Almost all of Kubota svl95 issues come from the emissions stuff they stuck on them. If you get those machines deleted, you have one of the best pieces of artwork there is to have! They can run for thousands of hours with virtually zero issues.

  12. #12brownstande2019-12-22 17:45

    I agree with this. As I said in the first post the first machine went out entirely too early. I plan to delete mine within the next year or two. I have found some places within a couple hours of me that will do it. As far as the emissions on the caterpillar, from the previous post, I have done some research and they are not having that many issues with their emissions. That being said I had a cat for 12 years and that was a trouble free machine BUT I have gotten used to the huge cab that Kubota has and the excavator Style door so I guess I’m going to stick with her and see how she does.

  13. #13KSSS2019-12-22 19:21

    Can you really say if you delete it, that it is a great machine? It comes with DEF for a reason, and while I don't agree with Tier 4i or F in the least, having to kill your warranty and violate the law to make it run, shouldn't really be in the equation (to say nothing of what happens when you try to trade in a deleted machine). If CAT is doing something with the engine that Kubota doesn't know about, they should probably dial up CAT and find out how they overcame the DEF issues.

  14. #14Welder Dave2019-12-22 19:37

    What happens in a couple years when machines are checked that the original emissions system from the factory is operational. Do you get big fine and the machine is impounded? How would you ever sell it. I see lots of issues deleting the DEF system. Kubota should figure it out and offer free updates on all machines sold regardless of hours or warranty term. Basically an across the board recall to satisfy customers.

  15. #15brownstande2019-12-22 20:03

    The feds aren't going to come after anyone ha. I've been deleting troublesome diesel trucks for years. THE WHOLE reason these machines have all of the garbage on them is because of the Obama administration and the EPA. The U.S. has the most stringent emissions systems on diesels in the world. For me, I need a reliable machine and cannot afford downtime. If deleting makes the machine more reliable with less downtime it only makes sense to go that route OR I could trade this machine in or sell it outright and take a gamble with another manufacture in hopes that it is a better unit. Related to that, I understand that the new Bobcat machines have some of the simplest emissions systems (only have Urea, no def) but a $85000 machine vs. $66000 for the orange machine. And if a owner is paranoid about selling the machine deleted, you can always reinstall the emissions and reprogram the ECM.

  16. #16Welder Dave2019-12-22 20:38

    Have you been deleting Tier 4 final for years? Will you personally guarantee that the feds won't come after anyone who deletes the emissions. I don't think it's worth the risk as it could become federal law and huge fines imposed. There are some big companies that had to spend millions changing out older engines to install new engines to meet EPA requirements.

  17. #17brownstande2019-12-22 20:48

    there's no "Tiers" on automobiles. You've been able to buy the delete kits for pickups online for at least 15 years. There is guys advertising deleting emission systems on Facebook.

  18. #18KSSS2019-12-22 20:53

    Actually I believe the EU is even more strict. I could delete a machine or pickup and not have issues with regulatory agencies myself, but it aint like that everywhere. If your willing to delete it, and put all that back on to resell it, I guess that is a decision for you to make. My issue is if you cant buy it and run it like it is designed, its really not a quality machine. I mean if Kubota wanted to tell their customers upfront that if you want your Kubota to run you must, on your own dime, forgo any warranty you may have and pull this SCR **** off, then by all means but that aint gonna happen. Customers are buying these, thinking they are buying a reliable machine, like the initial series of Kubota CTLs were. The SCR machines are nothing like the initial series was unfortunately. Either CAT is fixing their machines at night and paying the customers not to talk about it, or they are not seeing the issues Kubota is. I find that really ironic since it of course it is a Kubota motor in the CAT.

  19. #19KSSS2019-12-22 20:57

    You are aware of the fines that aftermarket companies have been hit with right? https://jalopnik.com/aftermarket-software-tuners-sct-and-bully-dog-forced-to-1829348318 Just because they are doing it doesn't mean that its legal.

  20. #20brownstande2019-12-22 21:06

    this isn't VW we are talking about as far as autos...As far as the equipment, believe me, I do not want to delete anything BUT if its gonna make it more reliable, I will. I bought a new Ford 6.7 in 2016. It pulls heavy weight every day, has 44K miles and I've had 0 issues with it so I have no intentions whatsoever of deleting it. Its funny about the reference to SCT. They are still making the products and I know dozens of people that have deleted their trucks and use their components. A friend just did his last weekend and the truck has 650 HP and gets 4 more mpg !

  21. #21brownstande2019-12-22 21:09

    KSSS, what year was the early Kubota CTL ? My 90/2 model was a 2015 (tier 4 interim) and it was a total POS.

  22. #22KSSS2019-12-22 22:25

    The tier 3 models seemed to run well. Never of hear of engine issues anyway.

  23. #23KSSS2019-12-22 22:38

    The tuner guys don't have anything in common with VW, this is strictly the aftermarket, VW was OEM. The guys on FB that are advertising tunes and delete services are fools. Bully Dog is from Idaho about 60 miles from me. It is a bad deal, but they had to know that when your openly selling tunes and services that bypass what the Feds are wanting, something is going to give, and it is always the checkbook of the little guy. I don't blame someone for deleting a machine, I just don't think it should be necessary. I don't have (at least not yet) any SCR issues (I have a CTL and SSL that are SCR) but if my machine was down all the time due to it, I would be looking for solutions as well. I would likely traded it for something that runs, but to each their own. Tier 4F has been the rule for what 4 years? There is no excuse for these issues to still be continuing. I have not touched my pickups since 2006. I used to have them tuned and aftermarket exhaust and so forth. I don't touch the motors now (Duramax) they have plenty power and they are reliable just as they are. Not worth the hassle for me.

  24. #24TDI guy2019-12-22 22:48

    That is regulation for on road use. The carbon footprint of the off road equipment is so small I don't think they even really care about that it. What they are going after and fining has been on road issues. I do care about environment, and that is why I am convinced it is better for us if we can make our equipment use even 1 gal per hour less.

  25. #25KSSS2019-12-23 02:18

    I know that they kicked or are still kicking out all the tier 3 equipment out of California. I agree that someone would check to make sure your SCR system is intact on a job site anywhere else, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if they did either. I am not sure we are saving any fuel with all of this certainly Tier 4i was no fuel savings. Maybe their some air quality improvements, but maybe not. However they must care to some degree or we wouldn't be dealing with Tier 4i and F. Personally I was good with Tier 3 regulations. The low hanging fruit was picked with Tier 3. After that it, it has gotten out of control.

  26. #26brownstande2019-12-30 07:22

    On a positive not for me, I also have a Kubota U35 Mini. It has Tier 1 emissions and I've had 0 issues with it, 2900 hours ! Update on the 95 model. The dealer found a small antifreeze leak on the bottom radiator hose, that I missed. After 12 house of use I still smell smell antifreeze vapors. Appears to still be using antifreeze...Will post more updates