Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259d vs 289d

KyS650 · 2019-10-31 23:45

Currently I own a Bobcat S650 and would like to upgrade to a track machine. Leaning toward Cat because our local Bobcat dealer is not known for great service after the sale. From my research, other than weight and breakout force, the Cat 259d & 289d are similar. I do a few jobs where I tear our trees(stumps also) and was curious if the 289d would have the force to do the job? Is it worth the $$$ to jump to the bigger machine?

Replies12
  1. #1Mobiltech2019-11-01 08:32

    The 289 would do a lot more work when moving stumps or dirt. The only benefit to the 259 is it can fit in smaller spaces. Better for indoor work.

  2. #2KSSS2019-11-01 09:35

    I have never run these two units side by side, but I have run other midframe sized machines verse large frame. The smaller unit is nice for smaller areas, can be easier to transport depending on how your set up. Kept in their element they can get a lot done for their size. However if you do a large variety of work that includes more substantial pushing and handling larger buckets, the large frame machines simply are much more productive. Putting more track on the ground, with more weight helps with the productivity. I have not looked at the specs of these two machines, but if you want the capacity to do larger jobs more frequently and with more productivity, I would spring for the 289. If you primarily do lighter duty projects with it, with the occasional bigger project, I would go with the 259 and save the money. I liked the smaller unit for prepping concrete and asphalt and those sorts of projects, not so much on backfilling, cutting substantial grade or loading trucks.

  3. #3KyS6502019-11-02 04:13

    Thank you both. Greatly appreciate the input.

  4. #4One guy construction2019-11-26 12:41

    I currently have a 259D that I am trading in on a 299dxe. I looked at 289 and ran one. It was nice but I didnt see much difference from my 259. I do have the weight kit on my 259. I have used mine with a Dansuar tree puller and was amazed at what we got done with the machine. I all most bought another 259 but decided to go with the 299.

  5. #5ih1002019-11-26 18:16

    The 289 is a much more stable and strong machine for your type of work. I know which one hammers your back the most over a working day. Get pushing stumps in a 259 and you’re in for a rough ride.

  6. #6clark132019-12-01 14:06

    I was waffling between these two machines as well. As is always the case, demo both and see what works for you. I tried both of these as well as the Kubota SVL 75. I chose the 289. If you look at the steel from the loader arms to the bucket it’s beefier on the 289. There’s more track on the ground and the rear end provides much more stability. I ordered the high flow option and you pick up a few more gpm too. Even the step into the cab is bigger on the 289. I move a lot of ton hay bales and I like the idea of the added stability. The reach at full height is considerably better on the 289 as well. With the 17 inch tracks the ground pressure is lower than the 259. My new unit is supposed to land at Western States Cat in Idaho Falls this week. Just my .02

  7. #7ianjoub2019-12-01 17:01

    I love my 287 (and love the ASV undercarriage as well that everyone looks down on...).

  8. #8KSSS2019-12-01 20:41

    I would much rather rely on Western States than the IF Kubota dealer for service no question about that.

  9. #9clark132019-12-16 01:04

    So far it’s been great.

  10. #10KyS6502020-02-04 03:53

    greatly appreciate all the input. thank you

  11. #11PetersPatioLandscape2020-02-19 17:06

    We do landscaping and had a 257d. We were looking at adding a machine and we were considering a 289 to have some extra lift capacity. My Cat salesman actually talked me out of it. He said it is going to feel a lot bigger and it is going to feel slower. We ended up getting a 259 and have been very happy with it. It feels like it has a lot more lift than our 257 has and we haven't put a weight kit on it yet. We lifted a 3000lb outdoor fireplace off a semi with it last year and it did it with ease. It all depends on your use as to what will make the most sense for you. 259 or 289 you cant really go wrong as both are great machines. If your dealer is as good as Ziegler Cat is to us you will be in good shape.

  12. #12ih1002020-02-20 16:10

    The 259 and 289 are about the same power, but having run them both I’d go with the 289 just for the sake of my back. Also despite being a touch slower, the 289 takes a bigger bucket.