Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 259D won’t lift

Steves61 ยท 2024-05-01 20:46

I have a 2017 Cat 259D that will not lift the arms or move the bucket. It moves the track ok, the screen shows the right joystick functioning properly. Is it possibly the door switch? It is a 3-wire plug. How can I jumper it to see if that is the problem?

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2024-05-01 20:52

    G'day and welcome. Let's start with a machine Serial Number so that the correct electrical schematic to be located, then we can start to answer your questions.

  2. #2Steves612024-05-01 20:58

    The serial number is FTL12233

  3. #3Nige2024-05-01 21:17

    If you kneel on the operator seat and look over the back side of it, down at floor level towards the LH side of the cab you should find CONN 16. This is a 6-pin rectangular connector that carries the wiring for the door switch & wipers. Zip-tied to it should be half of a connector with a single jumper wire between Pins 2 & 4. Unplug the RH half A-C3 of the CONN 16 and replace it with the jumper CH-C18. That will send a signal to the ECM that the door switch is in the "closed" position. To check the wiring between CONN 16 and the switch operation, measure continuity at connector A-C3 between Pins 2 & Pin 4 and between Pins 2 & 5. With the door open there should be open circuit between 2 & 4 and continuity between 2 & 5. With the door closed it should be the opposite.

  4. #4Steves612024-05-02 09:29

    OK, so I plugged in the jumper but it still doesn't move the arms or bucket. Do you know what else I should check?

  5. #5Nige2024-05-02 11:15

    It might be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. Is the implement lockout switch in the OFF position.?

  6. #6Steves612024-05-02 11:59

    Well, this is embarrassing, but that is what was wrong with it. I must have inadvertently hit the switch when I turned the lights off. I thought I had checked all the switches...... I haven't had the machine long enough to be real familiar with it. Thank you so much for your help.

  7. #7Nige2024-05-02 12:14

    No problem. Just that when you started your thread asking about the door switch I assumed that you'd already done all the basic checks already. Shows what happens when you assume........... At least you now know how to temporarily bypass the door switch if you ever need to operate with the door removed for any reason. DO NOT run it like that permanently. It is a safety device designed to protect you from being crushed by the arms/bucket. Does the machine have an Operation & Maintenance Manual in the pocket behind the seat.? If yes, you need to study it. If no you should really get one, especially if you are doing your own maintenance. Here is a link to a genuine OEM manual on eBay .

  8. #8Steves612024-05-02 14:00

    Yes, I should have been more familiar with the switches. I thought the ones on the left were the only ones controlling the tool functions so didn't check the right switch. The machine does have a manual in the seat pocket so I need to get in there and read up on the functions of the machine. Thanks again for your help and the excellent advice.

  9. #9Nige2024-05-02 14:07

    "No parts required" fixes are always good, and you learned something in the process. Win-win.

  10. #10kellerw2025-02-24 15:43

    Wow (Nige) I knew about the jumper as I'd busted my windshield out a year ago. But that switch up on top....thanks for pointing that out.