Hey I have a cat 267b with a 3044c engine I believe. The front crank seal is leaking, so I have to pull the crank pulley off to replace it. I was looking through the manual just getting an idea how to replace it, manual calls to torque the pulley nut to 380 lb-ft. How the heck am I supposed to get that off? I have a 1/2in Milwaukee impact gun, but the nut is around 1-3/4 or 45mm, I don't have a socket that big, and I'm not sure I can find one in 1/2in drive. I have a 3/4in drive sae socket set with a maybe 16in breaker bar, but I'll just be turning the engine over with a breaker bar. Does a 1/2in impact gun have enough torque to remove something torqued that high, and probably a little rusty? Not to mention trying to pull the pulley off if I can get the nut off. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Is there any access opening around flywheel, where you could hold the engine against rotation. That or 3 quarter impact gun. Maybe a good half inch drive impact would do it, but I doubt it.
I think there is some flywheel access, I'm not sure how easy it is to get to. I did see a method online for getting crank bolts off, they put a breaker bar on it, up against the frame, then bumped the starter, and it would pop it loose. I'm not sure the starter would have enough torque for that in this situation, though
3/4” drive impact and plenty of air. Not run through a 1/2” air hose in other words.
Have taken off with 1/2 inch gun with 175PSI air and large bore air fittings. It is broken loose before anything can even turn. Believe socket size is 1-13/16 if I remember correctly. Simon C
I have used that method before, mostly on automotive. But you have to be real careful, You have to know which way the eng cranks, so you know what side to place breaker bar on. The breaker bar has to be exactly at 90 degrees to crank bolt, and it should be secured somehow so it doesn't slip off and create mass carnage. Also depends on how much room you have. Good luck
Update... Putting a breaker bar on, bracing it against the frame, and bumping the starter worked, almost too easily. Got the seal replaced and all back together now, much less of a nightmare job than I anticipated. Thanks all!
Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together.?