Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat

Hank R · 2022-04-04 10:51

On January 22 this year I received from my cousin. His friend was driving the pusher truck, when the Jeep tires hooked the snow cone and sucked then off the road. on damage to truck frame.

Replies70
  1. #1Hank R2022-04-04 16:29

    My friend Don hauling a Cat truck from the factory to Northern Alberta. Dec 19. 2019

  2. #2Nige2022-04-04 16:37

    Are you sure that's not a Komatsu chassis.? It doesn't look like any Cat mining truck chassis I've ever seen.

  3. #3Hank R2022-04-04 17:00

    You may be correct, Have not seen a newer Cat truck in years with my eyes as I have been wrong many times...Now have to figure out how to move it to correct location.

  4. #4DB22022-04-04 18:46

    Maybe just change the name of the thread ?

  5. #5Hank R2022-04-04 19:39

    I have a couple pictures of Cat Truck at Logan Lake BC. They the shop are converting and rebuild to autonomous and one can still put a driver in the cab.

  6. #6DDoug2022-04-05 07:03

    In the first pix, you'd think the Haul truck would have handled that road better than the tow rig did.....

  7. #7Hank R2022-04-05 10:40

    The small truck shop where mine crew is doing the conversion to autonomous 6 mechanics two welders takes a month.

  8. #8Nige2022-04-05 10:42

    I agree. Logically the truck would seem to be less of a road hazard driving itself at a reasonable speed than it is to have a chassis on a lowboy that apparently has to be a half-mile long to comply with bridge laws. This is especially true whenever the lowboy gets to a road junction where it needs a minimum of a half-hour to make a turn.

  9. #9DDoug2022-04-05 12:21

    Those tires doo look a wee bit smooth though. I want to go on record here.....I ain't gonna be the one putting chains on that truck.....

  10. #10Nige2022-04-05 12:33

    We used to run them on the highway. This is a 797 going up to Escondida in Chile. About 70 miles give or take, and 10% adverse grades at certain points. Far easier than putting it on a lowboy.

  11. #11DDoug2022-04-05 13:48

    ...and Grandpa left his left blinker on.....

  12. #12Nige2022-04-05 15:16

    SOP when doing anything like that. Hazard flashers must be on.

  13. #13DDoug2022-04-06 09:23

    Too bad we couldn't get the Stig to test it.....

  14. #14Hank R2022-04-08 17:46
  15. #15Nige2022-04-15 00:35

    Ah the good old days when there was a shortage of tyres for large off-highway trucks. Digressing - I came across this Facebook group for the last opencast coal mine I worked at in the late 1970s before moving to work overseas. A lot of familiar names and photos. A lot of equipment from the "good old days" that people here will recognize including haul trucks from Cat, Terex, Euclid, & Komatsu. https://www.facebook.com/groups/232338026935065/ The one that had me wetting myself was regarding The Gypo (gypsy), one of the dozer drivers. "One comes to mind looking at the rain. Night shift the dumpers were rained off and about 2:00am me and Bob Lee got a call to the wipers on The Gypo's dozer. Pull the Landrover alangside and Bob jumped out and pulled himself up onto the dozer and let out a gasp. He pulled the cab door open and in his best John le Mesurier voice said to the Gypo "You really are the most disgusting ***king creature I have ever come across. Turns out that The Gypo had **** on to the track and not bothered to pull foward to dislodge it, and Bob had put his hand right in it when he climbed up."

  16. #16Hank R2022-04-17 10:47

    May 20, 2013 my step son sent me these pictures, of this super water tank which the DOT road sided for a week till they got the permits all sorted out near Kamloops. This swimming pool was going to the Highland Valley Mine near Logan Lake to go on a Cat 793 D truck.

  17. #17Nige2022-04-17 13:04

    From Ground Force out of Post Falls, Idaho

  18. #18Nige2022-04-17 15:42

    Should've put in a link - https://gfworldwide.com/ The tank in Hank's photo isn't even the biggest one they build. There is one available to go on a 400-ton class truck.

  19. #19kshansen2022-04-17 15:55

    Could use one of those to fill new swimming pools real fast I bet!

  20. #20DDoug2022-04-18 07:17

    I'd like to see the press brake that made that.....

  21. #21emmett5182022-04-18 09:17

    Thanks for sharing this stuff. And I thought my backhoe was big!!!

  22. #22Nige2022-04-18 09:33

    Machines like your backhoe are generally jokingly referred to as "Lawns & Gardens" equipment in the dealership.

  23. #23John C.2022-04-18 15:09

    I've been to that plant in Post Falls. You wouldn't think that anything that big came out of those buildings. They must have another place for that big of stuff. Most of the time there are Cat Artic truck frames parked on the sides of the buildings that are stripped of the box or have fluid tanks and maintenance gear installed on the trailing half.

  24. #24Nige2022-04-18 15:58

    At one time GF were the only company that were certified by Cat to take a standard wheelbase articulated truck and extend it to become a LWB in order to mount a service truclk body on it. They would carry out that process on both new and used chassis. Imagine if you will taking a gas axe to a brand-new truck chassis............

  25. #25John C.2022-04-18 17:28

    If you have seen one of these up close, I doubt you could ever find a place where a gas axe was ever used by Ground Force. What I have seen in Post Falls looked like it came out of the Cat factory brand new.

  26. #26Nige2022-04-18 19:52

    Ok then, a plasma torch. I never said they didn't do good work........... This was one GF did for us in the DR. No new LWB chassis available to meet the promised delivery date so they bought a SWB and extended it.

  27. #27Nige2022-04-18 19:56

    The last job we thad hree GF 740B FLTs. Two extended SWBs and one genuine LWB from Cat. The major difference was that unfortunately (IMHO) GF did not exactly duplicate Cat's driveshaft setup between the hitch and the centre axle for an LWB when they extended one. That tended to make parts sourcing a tad complicated.

  28. #28DDoug2022-04-19 07:23

    Yes, I have designed templates that got laser cut out locally, shipped out to the field, to be used to guide a hand plasma torch. I keep a little sketch handy that I drew up on the first one. I need the OD of the plasma shield, and the kerf size. Offsetting those (2) things, I make a template such that the cut line comes out right where it's needed. I also try to put alignment features in the template to locate the cut. As of late, I use a stencil font, and the laser will cut words & numbers on the template too.

  29. #29Hank R2022-04-29 23:10

    This is a very poor picture of a Cat ex Haul truck, that was converted into a Prime mover.. Low bed truck at the Line Creek mine near Sparwood BC. My friend Ron was one of the guys that worked on this project and is (some day) going to send me pictures. Hank, I did tell you that I did all the plumbing for the air system and elect on that truck when I worked at Line CREEK mine was a challenge. The truck had hyd brakes. The year was mid 90s Was a cat 185 ton which we installed a Cummings engine Did that because the mine manager didn't like the cat prices for engine parts Did that to four trucks wasn't very successful under power.

  30. #30Hank R2022-05-07 08:09

    I received from my friend in New Zealand Here are some mine trucks that belong to C&R Developments, a large construction company into mining etc. They don’t own any mines but hire their gear out to who ever wants it. I was asked by a couple of good friends who run NZ trucking magazine down here, to join them on a photo shoot at C&R in September 2020 as they were taking photos too use for the poster in the November issue. It was good chance to catch up and take a few photos. The 2 Cat dump trucks were only put on the lowboy for the photo shoot, it would not be legal on our roads I think.

  31. #31Hank R2022-05-07 08:12

    My file is to big hope this works

  32. #32Hank R2022-05-07 09:51

    I guess one has to click on to the jeg #

  33. #33Hank R2022-05-07 14:17
  34. #34Hank R2022-05-11 23:05

    My friend send me these pictures of a 793 haul truck which will be a tow truck or bed truck pulling a Aspen trailer 20 ft wide. at Highland Valley mine in BC. I hope to get pictures of truck and trailer when done but time will tell.

  35. #35Hank R2022-05-14 19:11

    Received from my friend in New Zealand, of these Cat 777C trucks. They were at a Gold mine there and the pit had a big slide, so they went to a underground operation. These trucks were then shipped to Australia

  36. #36Hank R2022-05-15 10:46

    Water truck inside the shop this weekend, I did not know the tank dumped up.

  37. #37Nige2022-05-15 12:28

    Not all of them do. It's an optional extra on a GF tank like that one. First time you have to do any work anywhere from the back of the engine to the differential it's a godsend.

  38. #38Hank R2022-05-20 17:11

    Small town lunch hr. move back a few years almost legal...

  39. #39Nige2022-05-23 17:33

    if it was a "lunch time move" I assume it was not a great distance. why not just drive it.? Would've been less of a hazard on the highway than the lowboy.

  40. #40Hank R2022-05-23 17:43

    About 20 miles then 7 miles on a logging type of road.

  41. #41icestationzebra2022-05-30 12:58

    What is that thing attached to the bed handing in front of the cab? Is that a reminder that the bed is down? ISZ

  42. #42skyking12022-05-30 13:07

    heads-up display " too close for missiles, switching to guns"

  43. #43John C.2022-05-30 13:27

    That red flag is exactly what you describe. In the last few years, some of the trucks have interlocked the transmissions to only shift into first gear in order to move the truck while the bed is up. I've been in a couple of trucks that would not move at all if the box was not down and sitting on the frame of the truck.

  44. #44Nige2022-05-30 14:50

    Yup. Designed for the (very) average operators that seem as though are getting hired these days........... I don't know about other brands but Cat trucks you can't select reverse with the bed even just raised off the rails, and in forward is limited (normally) to first speed. It also shouts at the operator and logs an Event on the Monitor system if the speed exceeds a certain preset amount when the bed is up. "Up" being anything other than the body sat hard on the frame rails.

  45. #45skyking12022-05-30 15:26

    I am glad I ran haul trucks that would let you do things, and now I'm done. We would be backing into place and raising the bed, dragging out loads as far as we could for the blade guy. The nanny would have had fits.

  46. #46DDoug2022-05-30 16:03

    co Correct me if I'm wrong, but allot of the OHV trucks I have seen, back up to a hard stop, to dump into a crusher or other conveyor. They ain't spreading, and they don't need to pull forward to get the last bit's off the truck.

  47. #47skyking12022-05-30 16:22

    mine was all site hauling with articulated trucks like the volvos. I only ran 769 Cat wagons once on a demo site, and then I was piling concrete next to a crusher.

  48. #48Nige2022-05-30 17:11

    Plus if it's any sort of mine waste being dumped over a free edge the usual procedure is to reverse to a point close to the edge, maybe 15ft or so, & dump. Then a track dozer pushes the material over and maintains the dump surface even and level while he's doing it. It avoids this sort of thing happening. Fortunately the first one was over a low dump. A more normal height of a dump (100-150ft high) and the truck would've been written off and $3m down the drain. A bit like the 2nd photo. And yes, that is the engine leaning up against the side of the rear wheel.

  49. #49Nige2022-05-30 23:50

    And before anyone asks, no we didn't put it there - the accident did.

  50. #50DDoug2022-05-31 14:06

    Any bouncing involved ?

  51. #51Nige2022-05-31 14:21

    When you consider that it went down over 300ft and left the dump body about half way down I would assume so. Unfortunately the operator did not survive. RIP.

  52. #52DDoug2022-05-31 14:40

    Curious to see how the new autonomouse trucks will behave.

  53. #53Hank R2022-05-31 17:15

    This is not my picture was sent to me and I have no idea as to where this was or is....

  54. #54Nige2022-05-31 17:26

    Another Komatsu, this time a water tank. You really shouldn’t mix the Dark Side up with the good stuff. Mammoet doing the hauling so probably North America somewhere.

  55. #55Hank R2022-05-31 17:43

    Me very very Bad sorry about that.

  56. #56Hank R2022-05-31 17:49

    I hope I have this right a Cat truck getting rigged up to pull a Aspen bed. At this mine they mine 400.000 lbs of Copper every 12 hrs. Some rock from the mine if I remember right where there is Copper there is a bit of Gold.

  57. #57Nige2022-05-31 18:19

    Most major copper mines always produce a certain amount of gold. Some also produce silver. They freely distribute the numbers for the copper but tend to keep quiet about the other two.

  58. #58Hank R2022-05-31 18:27

    Word around town here is the the Gold and silver pay the power bill at Copper Mt Mine

  59. #59Nige2022-05-31 18:33

    That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

  60. #60renovator2022-05-31 19:28

    Ft. McMurry area?

  61. #61Nige2022-06-01 10:33

    The last major gold mine I was closely involved with produced close to 900k ounces of gold per year, $16bn at today's prices. It also produced around 400k pounds of copper worth $1.7m. Small change compared to the gold but I bet it paid for a chunk of something in the operating expenses.

  62. #62DDoug2022-06-01 12:28

    Whatever they dig up....they process it for sale. Where doo you think the whole "Pet Rock" idea came from ??? Different kind of "Pet Rock" for your listening pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcoVQ90ji9l9YUTDy6ManUg

  63. #63Hank R2022-06-10 15:03
  64. #64Nige2022-06-10 15:05

    Do you have any close-up photos of the engine conversion.?

  65. #65Hank R2022-06-10 16:35

    Not right now Ron who I worked with in the 70's was one of the men that work on these truck and should be home by the 15 as he winters in Mexico he has pictures just not sure what of and he does not remember but will send me what he has.

  66. #66sfrs42022-06-15 03:14

    I thought CAT's always landed on their feet?

  67. #67Nige2022-06-15 06:13

    Not when you have knobheads driving them they don’t.....

  68. #68kshansen2022-06-15 09:22

    We had our share of those drivers too: If I remember that's a 769D, driver I believe was shortly afterwards unemployed!

  69. #69Hank R2022-06-15 10:51

    Seat warmers a lot are now

  70. #70Hank R2023-04-07 22:15

    Cat 789 tow truck