Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Euclid

Hank R · 2022-03-31 13:13

I found these in a album Wendell sent to me he went to northern Bc, to work only stayed a few month then moved away to eastern Canada.

Replies112
  1. #1skyking12022-03-31 13:16

    cool pictures. I had not seen a Letourneau loader like that either. Nice find

  2. #2Hank R2022-03-31 13:32
  3. #3Hank R2022-03-31 14:29

    Different mine this is the best I have of the haul trucks at Line Creek mine it was in start up in the mid 80's when I got a VIP tour.

  4. #4Nige2022-03-31 15:08

    Of course nowadays the "Euclid" badge has been switched for a "Hitachi" one but otherwise the trucks still look prety much the same.

  5. #5Nige2022-03-31 15:24

    This is my favourite photo of a Letourneau loader. L1850, Radomiro Tomic copper mine, Chile. Around about the 2000 time-frame IIRC. I just happened to be on site the day it fell apart and have a load of close-up photos that explain exactly why it happened.

  6. #6Hank R2022-03-31 18:16

    That would of got the operators attention real fast.

  7. #7mekanik2022-03-31 18:45

    I was working on a Letourneau log stacker. I was working on the engine a Cummins KT series. The company mechanic was showing me some of the bolts that held it together. Letourneau uses a fine double pitch thread system. If you need a bolt you had to buy it from Letourneau. If I remember correctly 25 years ago a 5/8x2 bolt was over $100.

  8. #8Hank R2022-03-31 19:11

    Sure hope some one else has Haul truck pictures, I only have a few more.

  9. #9Nige2022-03-31 19:17

    On yes indeedy. It would have probably been change of underwear time.

  10. #10Truck Shop2022-03-31 19:42

    The only thing better than a truck or train wreck is Big Front Loader Wreck. That's how a possible bad design shows it's face.

  11. #11Nige2022-03-31 20:47

    Acksherly Shirley it was bad execution that made it unzip itself. Wanna see more.?

  12. #12Hank R2022-03-31 20:49

    Yes

  13. #13Truck Shop2022-03-31 20:55

    Lets see what happened to that puppy.

  14. #14Nige2022-03-31 21:13

    I was wrong it wasn't an L1850 it was an L1400. My bad. Some close-ups.

  15. #15Nige2022-03-31 21:19

    And here is the piece-de-resistance - or didn't resist hard enough as the case may be. A badly cleaned up weld, hard to see with all the grease but when it was cleaned off it was as clear as day, right on top of the upper main frame plate. Started a high-cycle fatigue crack and eventually she decided she'd had enough and just unzipped herself.

  16. #16Truck Shop2022-03-31 21:19
  17. #17Truck Shop2022-03-31 21:24

    Well this brand has a problem also in same area. Friend who owns a machine fab shop has repaired three.

  18. #18Nige2022-03-31 21:33

    I don't think that Letourneau frame was repairable, or even if an attempt was ever made to repair it. IIRC we got a sale of a new 994 loader to the customer out of that failure.

  19. #19Steve Frazier2022-04-01 00:12

    When I was a kid Eucs were the only haul trucks I ever saw. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and that's when the interstate highways were being built around here, the lime green Eucs with screaming Detroits were the only trucks used. I remember a trip to Westchester County one time and we passed through an area where there was a major road project underway and we had to share a stretch of road with the Eucs moving material. What an awesome sight for me!!! I was standing up in the back seat the whole time through there! There's a stone quarry about 12 miles from my house and they had Detroit powered Eucs there up until the late 90s. When the conditions were right you could hear those trucks climbing up the hill coming out of the quarry to the crusher!! I don't remember if they were 12V or 16V71. Screamers!!

  20. #20Pony2022-04-01 08:38

    What's with the front tire chains Nige? They seem to smooth to be for traction, they look like they are armouring the tyre the way they go way up the sidewall. So I'm guessing it's for protection, but against what?

  21. #21skyking12022-04-01 09:02

    You're one bad wheelspin away from a very expensive tire replacement, and the fronts are first to the scene against the pit bank. That would be my guess. The shards are still fresh there.

  22. #22mowingman2022-04-01 09:33

    I have a paperback book called the "Euclid Hauler Handbook, Edition 15". It was printed in about 1982. This reference book shows all the, then current, Euclid models, all the specifications for each model, and also has a listing with basic specs, of every Euclid machine ever built. It was a handy reference back in the day. I used to have an earlier edition, I believe it was from the early 60's, but it has disappeared somewhere. I remember a salesman gave me the book back when we were buying rock trucks for my employer. Does anyone else have one of these? Jeff

  23. #23DDoug2022-04-01 10:10

    Be nice if you could scan that in for historical keeping. Or someone else here maybe could step up and do it.

  24. #24cuttin edge2022-04-01 10:35

    Your front tires are always into the muck pile in the quarry or mine. They take the most abuse as well. If you don't keep the work area clear, shot rock can be really sharp. I was told once that you should never dig too deep into the face in these situations, and once you get the bucket started, to just curl back and back out. A spade bucket will fill easier than a straight edge. I have always noticed that most hard rock mining loaders have smooth tires.

  25. #25mowingman2022-04-01 11:06

    That would be nice to do, but it would be quite a chore, as it has 340 pages, not counting the front and back covers.

  26. #26Hank R2022-04-01 11:16

    The only Euclid i ever owned I god for my birthday around 56 or 57.

  27. #27mowingman2022-04-01 11:20

    Is that toy a "Matchbox" or a "Dinky Toy". I remember seeing those, but could never afford one. Jeff

  28. #28Hank R2022-04-01 11:39

    It is a Dinky Toy, My parents bought it for me.

  29. #29mowingman2022-04-01 12:06

    Hank R: Thanks. Neat old toy model. The only "Dinky" I had was an old Landrover, with a 2-wheel trailer. I do remember getting a smaller, Matchbox Euclid dump truck though. It was not the one that had tandem rear axles, just a single rear with duals. I think the duals were actually made of metal, not rubber or plastic. Jeff

  30. #30DDoug2022-04-01 12:13

    Don't think it too much, a retired person might like to volunteer to take it on.

  31. #31Hank R2022-04-01 12:51

    In 1994Challemger received a order for two trucks for coal hauling from Line Creek Resources in Sparwood where their 75 cu. yd. Aspen coal boxes were added. This mine had a fleet of Euclid haul trucks topic #4.

  32. #32Hank R2022-04-01 13:07
  33. #33Truck Shop2022-04-01 17:11

    Nice photos Hank!

  34. #34Nige2022-04-01 17:30

    Amazing. I have an identical one in a box somewhere up in the attic along with a load of other Dinky stuff. Can't remember exactly when I got mine (I must've been under 10) but I'm sure it came from my great-uncle's hardware shop because he sold Dinky toys alongside everything else.

  35. #35kshansen2022-04-01 18:29

    I have a handful of some old Euclid Sale Brochures. Attached is one for the 74TD's like we had at the quarry shortly after I started there in 1968. They were originally at a sister quarry near by. I did lots of work on them, we had three of them along with other haul trucks.

  36. #36skyking12022-04-01 18:36

    That is a whole lot of hurt in a surprisingly small package!

  37. #37Hank R2022-04-01 19:44

    Kshansen were them old Eucs a fairly reliable truck when new. I know they were everywhere, or just not much else to buy?? When did they remove Pioneer Pete from the trucks?/

  38. #38mowingman2022-04-01 19:46

    This is just like the first Euclid I ever drove, way back in 1969 when I was just 18. I was shown how to drive it in about 10 minutes, then was told to spend the rest of the shift hauling slag to the dump pile. Alloy mill safety was not exactly no 1 priority back in those days. Jeff

  39. #39kshansen2022-04-02 08:30

    I would say if they were given some basic maintenance they were reliable if lacking in some creature comforts operators today feel they need like AC and stereo sound! Actually with the independent front coil suspension they rode pretty smooth. The sound of the 12V71 when dumping was an acquired taste for some. See the exhaust went through the frame of the dump body so with box down but when the load was being dumped the exhaust was wide open and just behind the cab with little to no sound deadening. Plus in warm weather with no AC it was even worse!

  40. #40emmett5182022-04-02 09:07

    The hoses held!!

  41. #41emmett5182022-04-02 09:09

    That That sounds like the intro to one of those Shake Hands with Danger vignettes.

  42. #42kshansen2022-04-02 09:31

    Well that was better training than some got back in the day! Sometimes it was simply here's the starter button and this makes the box go up. Take it out back and play with it a bit then head to the pit and start hauling stone!

  43. #43Hank R2022-04-02 10:36

    All Haul trucks here in Canada have heated boxes with exhaust in the boxes. Coal was bad for freezing in box in front corners once it started to freeze one would need a hoe to clean it out.

  44. #44Hank R2022-04-06 18:51

    If I remember correct this was near Princeton on Copper Mountain

  45. #45mowingman2022-04-06 19:26

    I wonder if those are R15's, or do they look bigger than that. I had 2 R15's with Cummins engines, at a sand plant back in the early 80's. Tough little trucks.

  46. #46Truck Shop2022-04-06 19:57
  47. #47Hank R2022-04-06 22:34

    I talked with Rollo a few minutes ago he worked at the mine and took the picture He is fairly sure it was a R-15 as it hauled 13 to 15 tons all the time for 2 years. it had a GN Diesel 4 71 engine and no hold back on a down grade. Ivan McKay was the owner of these 3 trucks and were new ones when he started.

  48. #48mowingman2022-04-07 08:00

    Thanks. I guess you could get either a DD or Cummins. Or, maybe ours had been repowered?

  49. #49Hank R2022-04-07 08:24

    I would think that when first came out GM power and latter on in production there were upgrades in power tires etc. But my friend is 94 still has a good mind for most things.

  50. #50Old Doug2022-04-07 09:58

    Euclids were the truck were you could fill out 2 pages in a note book on what was broken or worn out on it but it was steal being used every day. One good thing about learning to drive a old Euclid in a hour you could figure out what all the controls did i ran a newer cat and i didnt know every thing about it after several moths.

  51. #51DDoug2022-04-07 14:47

    Why is there a passenger side door & seat ?

  52. #52Truck Shop2022-04-07 15:04

    two ways to exit in case of a roll over.

  53. #53Nige2022-04-07 15:25

    Operator Trainer seat is what they are generally used for, when doing new operator instruction or check rides. Mildly amusing story. In Africa all the employees were given 1 month annual leave that they could use to return to their home village. Often this could be at the other end of the country and involved a lot of time sitting under trees waiting for transport. Any operator who came back after annual leave was put with an instructor for as many shifts as it needed to get them “re-trained” to operate a machine again.

  54. #54Truck Shop2022-04-07 18:25

    Back in those days everyone carried a lunch box, Plus cab was built to use on other vehicles. But real reason is you need a passenger seat for the lunch box.

  55. #55kshansen2022-04-07 18:49

    I have a booklet that shows all the Euclids sold from 1936 up to late 1960's. Some were even sold with Buda engines. And there were some built with Hall Scott and Waukesha Butane engines. Not to forget the 6-110 Detroits! Also just noticed some were twin engine trucks too and one noted as electric, no idea how that worked! There are around 30 pages of this info was wondering if there is some good place to scan and upload it. Also have a brochure from, I believe, 1969 for a R-105 truck with articulated steering and eight wheel drive which could be had with either a 12V-149T or a 16V-71t engine! Along with a few other Euclids of that vintage!

  56. #56kshansen2022-04-07 18:58

    Maybe scan the stuff in and post it to the "Old Iron" forum here? But it can't really be old iron as most of that stuff was new when I started working at the quarry!

  57. #57Truck Shop2022-04-07 19:01
  58. #58Nige2022-04-07 19:59

    Absolutely you do, and here’s a (very expensive) cautionary tale to illustrate why. Almost brand-new 797 truck. Less than 500 hours IIRC. Operator is travelling loaded to the waste dump and decides he’s feeling a bit peckish but his lunch box is on the floor in front of the passenger seat, not on the seat itself. So he reaches over the centre (transmission shift) console to try to grab a snack from his box, taking his eyes off the road as he did so. Well unfortunately for him the road was curving to the left, and as a result of failing to follow the curve he crossed over to the right side of the road and made contact with the berm at a speed of somewhere around 25mph. Imagine if you will, a truck loaded to (and maybe well beyond) the Max Rated GVW of 595 tonnes going from 25mph to a dead stop in a distance of about 15 feet....... The deceleration was so fast that part of the load went clean over the headache rack and landed on the ground in front of the truck. It sheared all the bolts and wiped the LH front leg clean off the chassis and tore off the RH side front wheel by ripping the hub apart through the wheel bearings. According to the operator “the steering failed”. Yeah, right.

  59. #59Truck Shop2022-04-07 20:06

    He was reaching for a Little Debbie Snack! And had a Catsasstrophy.

  60. #60DDoug2022-04-08 07:53

    IIRC that roller bearing is much-o denaro...

  61. #61Hank R2022-04-08 13:53

    Hank S, found this picture for me of a R-15

  62. #62Truck Shop2022-04-08 17:51
  63. #63Hank R2022-04-08 19:19

    Nice picture but I like the older Euclid colour better LOL

  64. #64Truck Shop2022-04-08 19:21

    That's where dodge got the idea for hemi cuda green.

  65. #65Hank R2022-04-08 19:40

    Now I know the rest of the story....

  66. #66mowingman2022-04-08 19:50

    The older Euclid is the original Euclid Green, officially called "Euclid Chartreuse". It is a lighter green than the newer Terex "Euclid" green. The Terex version had a darker green look than the old Euclid color. I remember buying both colors when painting equipment back in the 80's. The Euclid color does not look good on a metal storage building, that I can tell you from experience. Neither color looks good on a pickup truck either. Jeff

  67. #67Truck Shop2022-04-08 20:16
  68. #68mowingman2022-04-08 22:24

    That green is not bad, but it looks nothing like a solid Euclid green . The color shown is much brighter green, in fact, that looks a lot like the green Dodge/Plymouth used on their sporty cars. When you get a chance, paint one in Euclid green and post it on here. Another green color not meant for vehicles is J.D. green. My uncle painted his farm truck in JD green. Yuck! Jeff

  69. #69kshansen2022-04-09 09:45

    On this topic of Euclid Green, my first boss in the shop was a golfer and had the guys in the shop paint his older Harley Davidson golf cart while they were painting a Euclid one day! Bet everyone knew when he was out on the course!

  70. #70DDoug2022-04-11 07:23

    I disasgree..... think JD should start making Pick-up trucks (they have the capacity in their factories, and the dealer network to back it up) Simple 3/4 ton 4x4 only, and with the addition of dual tires, a 1 ton version. With one of their many diesel engines, and no frills. Sell to the contractors they already have as customers. Qty (2) versions (different by paint job only) 1. Version #1 for farmers, sold thru the AG dealerships, JD green with a JD yellow stripe. 2. Version #2 sold thru the construction dealerships, JD yellow with a JD green stripe. Heck, you would be guaranteed 10k sales each year just to the "Green & Yellow Underwear crowd" alone, and the fleet sales might prove good, offering the trucks as a add in to a large machinery order.

  71. #71Hank R2022-04-11 10:50

    Loggers need a tough pickup no fancy and crap that rattles off on the roads then there is the mine sites that destroy pickupups

  72. #72skyking12022-04-11 11:38

    Hank I spotted this lonely Euc from the freeway on the drive over to work on my friend's place, and had to go back on the way home. It got dark but it was an R35 next to the Ford water truck.

  73. #73Hank R2022-04-11 12:36

    Good eye, 2 of my friends I worked with have some more pictures just looking for them and 1 is on his way home from Mexico so I hope he remembers.

  74. #74DDoug2022-04-12 08:06

    Yup, JD could build them like mail trucks/step vans, rivetted aluminum panels. And a simple welded box tube frame, leaf springs all around.

  75. #75Hank R2022-04-12 22:37

    Wawa Ontario Iron Ore Pics. This is the old Algoma Ore.

  76. #76kshansen2022-04-13 11:48

    Here's an attempt at posting a group of images, this is the scans or an Euclid R-105 sale brochure: Well that did not work file too big, will try adjusting and post again!

  77. #77kshansen2022-04-13 11:50

    Second attempt:

  78. #78skyking12022-04-13 12:25

    interesting I had not seen an articulating Euc.

  79. #79Hank R2022-04-13 15:37

    I have not also very very many sold?

  80. #80skyking12022-04-13 15:48

    It looks like quite the beast! Very short wheelbase for the amount of load.

  81. #81mowingman2022-04-13 16:49

    Did they ever build any of those? Looks like a Payhauler in green. Jeff

  82. #82kshansen2022-04-13 19:10

    The only place I have seen one is in the sale brochure I scanned it from. The company I worked for had three or four IH trucks with dual all around but I'm not recalling the steering set-up on those. Only time I was near them was to help strip things off like dump bodies to get them ready to be moved out of state. I'm thinking they were smaller than the Euclids in my post, maybe 50 tonners? Found a link to a site about those, Payhauler 350 or the 180: Funny thing is after first posting this I noticed two things even though the link originally came up with a search for the 350. It does mention the 350 is basically and updated 180. And near the end of the video I see the trucks have the company logo on the doors for the company I worked for!

  83. #83Hank R2022-04-14 07:35
  84. #84John C.2022-04-14 10:48

    I worked on 350 Payhaulers back in the early eighties. Detroit V16 or Cummins V12 power. All wheel drive in first gear as I recall. They liked to bust rear axles.

  85. #85kshansen2022-04-14 14:45

    Here's another scan of old 1960's Euclid info, this is spec's for the little baby R-13! Hope this scan works.

  86. #86kshansen2022-04-15 07:48

    Next up R-22:

  87. #87kshansen2022-04-15 07:59

    Now a R-35 74TD, these were the main trucks we had at the quarry for many years when I first started: Just noticed something different, on the one's we had the air filter was mounted low and in front of the left front fender, you could service it from ground!

  88. #88kshansen2022-04-15 08:01

    Next the "newer" R-35, never had any this new!:

  89. #89Steve Frazier2022-04-15 10:32

    That R22 looks like the model I remember seeing most. There were dozens of road projects being built when I was a kid and they were used on them. They're the only haul trucks I can remember seeing until probably the late 80s. Very popular around here.

  90. #90kshansen2022-04-15 19:34

    One more this one is for the R-50 Haul truck.

  91. #91Nige2022-04-15 20:20

    Amazing that Terex brand in the UK also had an R50, manufactured in Motherwell, Scotland. Much more agricultural than the Euc though. A 16V-71 screaming Jimmy, leaf springs & rigid axles at both ends, and rode like the proverbial brick. Operator's hated them with a f'kin passion...... We had 35 of them at the last coal mine where I worked in the UK. Each one was driven 130 miles from the factory to the mine just north of Newcastle by road not put in a lowboy. Photo shows the optional sound suppression attachment which ours had fitted and was a right PITAif you needed to do any radiator work. I have no idea just how much the factory thought they could quieten a Jimmy anyway. Our truck shop must have had 2 mechanics working permanently doing nothing other than replacing broken road springs. Front springs were a ba$tard, rears were a rgiht ba$tard. Sold & serviced in the UK by the (in)famous John Blackwood Hodge & Co, more commonly known throughout the industry as "Deadwood Dodge". When we got the first 12 Cat 777s to be shipped to the UK in 1977 they were driven 25 miles from Leverton’s (dealer) yard south of Newcastle to the mine right through the centre of City. Here are photos of a couple of them making the journey fitted with red & white trade (temporary dealer) licence plates to make them “road legal”. We must have had some really early ones. One was S/N 84A89.

  92. #92Hank R2022-04-16 14:19

    I am surprised and happy with all the Euclid information that has been posted on here , I am still waiting for friends to send me more pictures.

  93. #93skyking12022-04-16 14:48

    It's a great community that way. When I saw that R35 go by at 75MPH I knew I would be getting off on the frontage road on the way back

  94. #94DMiller2022-04-16 15:43

    I can only relate to the R15s and 16s seen at quarries here.

  95. #95Hank R2022-04-16 18:18

    Picture from one of my books, not a mine haul truck but a Euclid.

  96. #96Hank R2022-04-22 19:16

    Well I finally found my Euclid Key ring after 5 or 6 hrs. of going through boxes.

  97. #97kshansen2022-04-23 08:08

    Here's a page out of the Spec sheets I have that show the 64TD New price in 1956 was $43,420.00 had to haul a bunch of logs to pay for that tractor!

  98. #98Hank R2022-04-23 10:44

    Thanks interesting the price Just over $43,000.xx, soon a trip to the grocery store and a tank of gas will be half of that LOL

  99. #99John C.2022-04-23 10:48

    That price sounds to be less than a stripped down Chevy pickup these days.

  100. #100Hank R2022-04-29 21:35

    This is a very poor picture of a Euclid ex Haul truck, that was converted into a Prime mover ?? Low bed truck at the Line Creek mine near Sparwood BC. My friend Ron was one of the guys that worked on this project and is (some day) going to send me pictures.

  101. #101Hank R2022-04-29 22:42

    Heard back from Ron and he will not be home till mid June. Hank, I did tell you that I did all the plumbing for the air system and elect on that truck when I worked at Line CREEK mine was a challenge. The truck had hyd brakes

  102. #102skyking12022-04-29 22:48

    That's a beast!

  103. #103Hank R2022-04-29 23:02

    Sorry guys I messed up the mine had a fleet of Euclid truck and were switching to Cat and this is a Cat so I will repost in proper section . My dumb mistake.

  104. #104Steve Frazier2022-04-29 23:57

    Is that the doubled up cans on the air cleaner?

  105. #105kshansen2022-04-30 08:59

    I was thinking that it sure looked like a 769C or maybe a 773B!

  106. #106kshansen2022-04-30 09:02

    I'm thinking the sound suppression system was more about the cover over the radiator. I could be wrong though!

  107. #107Nige2022-04-30 11:27

    The twin air cleaner assemblies were standard equipment on the Terex R50 on our side of the Pond. The fan was apparently one of the loudest components, so the weird shape cowiling was installed in front of the radiator. IIRC it also had a type of sponge material on the inner side to dampen noise from cowling vibration.

  108. #108Nige2022-04-30 11:31

    It's amazing how the lash-ups of the past have evolved into what's available today. https://towhaul.com/en/lowboy

  109. #109Hank R2022-05-06 23:36

    A special thanks to Camptramp for letting me use his pictures.

  110. #110Hank R2022-05-07 07:33

    Febuary 1960

  111. #111Truck Shop2022-07-25 18:16

    New, sent to Africa.

  112. #112DMiller2022-07-26 05:38

    Could have been labeled as to the quarries I worked in as to the Eucs, swap mufflers for straight pipes and scar up both sides, eliminate any straight sheet metal and VIOLA the fleets.