Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277 B MTL Loader track tension

Mitch O ยท 2013-11-25 15:23

I have a Cat 277 B MTL. The left track has started making a knocking noise. I notice the track tension on that side is not as tight as the one on the right. Manual refers to a tension tool located in the engine compartment. It's missing. Doew anyone know where I can get one?? Is it strictly a Cat tool I need to buy from them?

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2013-11-25 16:03

    Unless someone else chimes in to say otherwise I'd say yes. It looks pretty specialized and not the sort of thing you could knock up for yourself. Maybe the possibility exists that you could rent/borrow one from another 277 owner..?

  2. #2Mitch O2013-11-25 16:28

    Since keeping the tracks at the proper tension I think the $250 Cat wants for the tool is a smart investment. Thanks.

  3. #3grandpa2013-11-25 18:00

    If you have a knocking noise, chance are pretty good its not track tension.... either way the tension tool is a must because you'll need one again... sounds like a bearing issue.

  4. #4Mitch O2013-11-25 18:02

    Thanks will check that out also.

  5. #5powerjoke2013-11-25 18:44

    Check the bushings in the squirrel cage, I have replaced them with PVC pipe they last quite a long time! As far as track tension, we use a Porto-power ...... Never realized there was a cat tool lol

  6. #6grandpa2013-11-25 18:51

    So just to satisfy my curiosity.... does the PVC last as long as the steel?

  7. #7powerjoke2013-11-25 19:14

    all that I've ever taken apart have had a plastic bushing in them and are shot by 1500hrs, PVC will last about 5-600 but doesn't cost a dime. Edit: come to think of it I have done it to my 247's and 257's but don't remember doing it to the 277 machines, The new squirrel cages are pretty expensive I do remember that part of it lol

  8. #8Mitch O2013-11-25 19:27

    Porto-Power the hydralic ram kit??

  9. #9powerjoke2013-11-25 19:28

    Maybe we did do it to the 277's honestly I've had so many over the years that they all run together in my head anymore I'm getting old! Looks like bushing number 199-5332 is $6.80 each but you'll need 48 of them

  10. #10powerjoke2013-11-25 19:30

    Yes that's what we use to push track frames fore and aft on the 277 machines, a $69 harbor freight tool comes in handy Edit, I was going to build an apparatus out of a ratchet boomer but when I was done in 5min with a portopower I didn't figure it was worth taking an hour and trashing a $25 boomer, The thing to remember is that there is I think 4 3/4" head bolts and one big bolt like 1 1/4" in the center towards the front, only remove the 1/2" bolts and loosen the big one, you have to push the track frame the opposite direction of what you think in order to tighten the track because the back end of it is on a wedge an actually raises the rear of the machine a touch in order to tighten them up I have a couple sets of old tracks laying around for a 277 if your lugs are ripped off and need something to get you by, I gave $3600/pair off eBay, don't waste your time with the "Larry lugs" they don't last long and are kinda expensive for what you get Pj

  11. #11ih1002013-11-26 15:50

    This is a new one on me. Our old 257 was tensioned using either a big adjustable or stilsens to turn the turnbuckle. I think the spanner size was 41mm. Can you post a photo, please? I'm curious about this new set-up.

  12. #12Mitch O2013-11-26 16:37

    I am looking for a "new" set of tracks. The ones I on it have a couple of chunks missing from the edges.

  13. #13Mitch O2013-11-26 16:46

    View attachment 20131126154548.pdf This out of the OMM.

  14. #14powerjoke2013-11-26 19:03

    The dead idler isn't no big deal to move I have always done that with a long pry bar I kinda figured that's what the two holes was for..... Stick the two 1/2" bolts in them and then torque the idler in place, guess I been doing it wrong I thought the tool you guys was talking about was for sliding the track frame Pj

  15. #15Mitch O2013-11-27 10:07

    From what I can see the Idler adjustment is the primary tension adjuster. If you have no more adjustment holes to use on the Idler adjuster then it's time to adjust the track frame out and then adjust the tension with the idler.

  16. #16grandpa2013-11-27 13:56

    Ive never seen a plastic bushing in the rollers on the drive sprocket,,,, metal on metal on the one's I've replaced.:beatsme

  17. #17powerjoke2013-11-28 21:24

    I'm sorry grandpa I meant metal, and I replace them with plastic sometimes it takes me a half hour to finish a post by the time I get sidetracked watching tv or something and I forget what in the world I was typing lol. But that's the way all my conversations are even when talking to me in person lol......think it's time to get some ADHD meds haha Pj

  18. #18grandpa2013-11-29 06:47

    What the hell will you be like when your my age.....