Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 279C2 intermittent aux

Clibberswick · 2024-02-10 16:58

so, I have read several threads but not found an idiots guide yet for fault finding my aux problem (yes, I am the idiot) 279C2 - sometimes on start up the little yellow triangle shows up and no main Aux. sometimes after operating it goes out and everything works just peachy… sometimes it goes out and when the roller is operated it comes back on again with no aux. I have checked all the grounds etc and confident they are good (including the ground at the joystick Aux plug). I get 8.1v at the plug for the roller with the ignition on) the secondary aux work fine. Relays have been swapped around etc no difference. I have read some fault finding with checking duty cycles at the ECM but struggling to follow them so after may be a fresh Walmart english guide? (Asking too much?) I have a meter with Duty cycle…. Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1skyking12024-02-10 17:05

    Post only one thread, it would be helpful if you can go delete those others. Thank you.

  2. #2Clibberswick2024-02-10 17:09

    I tried to delete it! But I was unable to edit… so I made a comment under the post if you care to look!

  3. #3Clibberswick2024-02-10 17:11

    The 3 dots on my original post were not there, so I made a comment.

  4. #4skyking12024-02-10 17:17

    One of the moderators will combine your posts, hopefully. Welcome to the forum.

  5. #5Nige2024-02-10 18:13

    All you have to do is click the "Report" button in the bottom LH corner and ask for it to be deleted. I already did it for the other thread BTW. First question. Serial Number.? You said 279C2 for the model so I assume the last 8 are KWB-something.? Second - do you have a set of spoons for your DMM so that you can back probe into connectors.?

  6. #6Clibberswick2024-02-10 18:38

    A) thanks yes she is a KWB B) I have ‘home made’ spoons that work What I have done so far: Cleaned all the grounds - there is a good ground from Pin 2 in big 12 plug of the RH stick. Confirmed power to roller across Pins 1 & 2 when the ignition is on. 8.01V With the 12pin connector connected I removed PIN 3 from the joystick (male pin) side of the plug and checked duty cycle between that pin and ground. Ignition off = 0%. Ignition on it jumps immediately to 99.5% and rolling of the Aux (with park brake on or off) does nothing. Re-ran the procedure with Pin 3 back in the connector using homemade spoon - same result.

  7. #7Nige2024-02-10 20:06

    You need everything connected, that's why the spoons are so essential. The engine does not need to be started, simply the key must be ON. Across pins 1 & 2, 8.0 +/- 0.3v, so you're good. On pin 3 you should measure close to 50% duty cycle with the thumb roller in the centre (neutral) position, less than 5% with it rolled fully one way, and more than 95% with it rolled fully the other way. These numbers should be consistent over repetitive cycles, only changing by maybe 1-2%.

  8. #8Clibberswick2024-02-10 20:17

    so, wiggling the wires and tapping the sensor she started working… 95 - 50 - 20 (never lower than 20). I think I have managed to tape the wires in such away it works for now, but know I likely need to get a new thumb roller… and maybe have the Aux calibrated. Time to start some serious googling for the roller.

  9. #9Nige2024-02-10 21:08

    You're wasting your time. It is only available as part of a replacement handle assembly.