Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 284B Trouble

HB-RD-Shop ยท 2010-05-27 11:27

Our 248B will not start unless you give it some fuel. It started dieing after full throttle was dropped down to idle, it just acted like it was starving for fuel. And when it would die, and try to start we would have to just step on the gas pedal one quick time and it would start. It still won't start without doint that but I adjusted the screw for the throttle cable and it atleast doesn't die when you let off after full throttle. I changed the fuel filter, drained the fuel tank, chenged the air filters, and fuse for the fuel. I talked to a guy at CAT and he said that he has had some WIX filters that will leak just enough air...no fuel leaking...but jsut enough to cause some problems. I have ordered a filter from CAT and it should be here in a couple of days. Any ideas about this.

Replies5
  1. #1HB-RD-Shop2010-06-01 12:53

    New CAT filter installed, same story...anyone have any ideas?

  2. #2Z28982010-06-01 16:29

    Have you checked primary fuel pump output? Suction line restriction from tank or filter?

  3. #3Z28982010-06-01 16:38

    Plugged fuel tank cap?

  4. #4cps2010-06-01 17:10

    Yea, what engine you got? I'm leaning towards fuel lift pump, or fuel draining back to the tank or something!! z2898 has some good points there!

  5. #5Z28982010-06-01 18:29

    Make sure you have 3-10 PSI fuel pressure exiting fuel filter housing. Also make sure you have 11.5 volts to 14+ volts supply to fuel lift pump at 2-4 amps.