Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 287 Hydraulic tank emptied

eddieG64 ยท 2022-08-08 22:45

Hi all, my skid steer emptied out all the hydraulic fluid while off. I saw a trail of fluid at last operation. I parked it and looked for signs of leakage at hoses, tank was nearly full. It was dark and I left it till morning. When I got to it large area of hyd fluid stain and tank was empty. there was no apparent leak at the tank lines and what I could visual inspect looked ok. I spent the next day cleaning a lot of mud sticks and rocks from the area, pulled bottom plate and cleaned up there also. My question, i purchased some hyd fluid dye and will put a gallon or so into tank, is there a no pressure line that could be outside of the area under the cab? I want to make sure i am looking in all areas with the dye light. should i pull the tracks? or are those areas only "hot" pressurized? thanks '

Replies2
  1. #1ianjoub2022-08-08 23:53

    I do not have the answer to your question but if it lost that much fluid that quickly, it should not be hard to find where it is leaking from.

  2. #2LCA0782022-08-16 16:58

    Yup- that much loss without a pressurized system is a huge leak. Have you thought about just putting 5psi of air in the hydraulic tank and listening for a hiss somewhere? I don't know if a 287 has a pressurized tank to help with the pump but I'm sure somebody here will let you know how to test for a leak with a bit of pressurized air.