Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289c leak by injection pump

bwbigred · 2021-01-12 17:06

I have a cat 289c and I have a leak on the side of the injection pump. There is a small hose that goes to a cylindrical looking piece with a spring it almost smells like anti freeze any suggestions

Replies16
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-01-12 20:08

    Yes, it will smell like antifreeze, that’s what activates it.. it’s a cold start device..& works off the engine coolant.. There’s not a whole lot u can do w the pump on the engine.. just not enough room..

  2. #2bwbigred2021-01-12 20:25

    Can I replace that piece it looks like it bolts on. It’s dripping pretty good while running and I can’t have that

  3. #3Simon C2021-01-12 20:38

    I think the Pump Guy SC is trying to say the injection pump has to come off to repair. Thats what it sounds like. They are heavily jammed into these units. Need to clean lots of dirt first before attacking any fuel injection pump or around any engine or hydraulic system. Simon

  4. #4thepumpguysc2021-01-13 08:15

    U can try.. BUT U HAVE TO GET THE PUMP # off the side of the aluminum hsg inorder to get the right 1. Get the # FIRST..(before taking it off) Call your local pump shop, tellm u need the CSD ( cold start device) You’ll probably have to wait for delivery.

  5. #5heymccall2021-01-13 16:19

    Looks like a VE-3100 pump.

  6. #6Simon C2021-01-14 00:05

    What does the cold start device technically do? Does it advance the timing only. Simon

  7. #7thepumpguysc2021-01-14 03:38

    It either advances or retards the timing.. I don’t have the specs in front of me.. It’s only used for starting.. & reduces the smoke..(epa)

  8. #8heymccall2021-01-14 09:32

    Looks like an Oring behind it.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2021-01-14 10:19

    U r correct.. it’ll b up to u to find out if it’s leaking at the large pump oring or the shaft that sticks out.. If it’s the shaft, an oring probably won’t fix it.. it probably wore out the housing it rides in.. Therefore u need to replace the assembly.. Here’s to hoping it’s the big oring at the housing..

  10. #10Tyler d4c2021-01-19 19:18

    Any word on the success of the fix just discovered it is leaking on my 279c

  11. #11Tyler d4c2021-01-19 21:05

    Pump number is 104742-3100 Cold start device part number is 146361-6500 0ring is 146600-0800 Thepumpguysc can you verify the part numbers and order them?

  12. #12rmllarue912021-01-20 00:00

    Have seen these bypassed and they still started good I was there for other issues

  13. #13thepumpguysc2021-01-22 07:42

    Big Red/Tyler.. my supplier has them in-stock.. Naturally you'll need a price but we should take it off the forum for that.. Click on my screen name on the LEFT side of the page for contact info..

  14. #14Matz282026-03-23 11:49

    In need of a CSD as well

  15. #15thepumpguysc2026-03-23 16:28

    Sorry but I no longer have that information.. Maybe a previous member will see this and contact you with the p#..

  16. #16greasynails2026-03-29 20:44

    You should be able to source through cat. 352-3694. Call your dealer and give them a serial to check.