2012 Cat 289c2 SN RTD00777 Alert light for air intake came on after starting a week after having been caught in a downpour. Replaced both filters that were 18 months old( 25 hours) light went off. Started next day and light came on. Cleaned intake line back to the arm box that had accumulated dirt and grease. Started and light went off. Went back to use later and light on again. Stopped engine and started and light went off so went to work. Light came on while I was working and stopped moving. Turned engine off and back on and light went off. Headed back to shop and light came on and machine abruptly stopped. Stopped and started machine and made it back to shop. Since then I've replaced the air intake sensor. Amber light and warning light stay on and Will not cycle off. Machine can't be moved. Any suggestions or Similar experiences and What it led to? Thank you, Joe
Post a photo of the instrument panel in the upper RH corner of the cab. You may have access to diagnostics that would prove to be useful in this situation.
Took pics and posted, both right and left panel as you see. Sat with engine running and amber went out burvred stop stayed on. Turned engine off, waited 5 seconds, started engine and pushed brake release and both light went off(amber did not come back up either) . Idling now for 5 mins and no lights have reappeared (yet)
Well you're in luck. You have the optional RH panel that lets you get into diagnostics. The three buttons underneath the window are the key. See the attachment which details how to use them to get into Service Mode for diagnostic purposes. For now you should only be interested in Service Mode 1 (Active Diagnostic Codes) and Service Mode 3 (Active Events). Don't worry about Modes 2 & 4 just at this moment. Post back with your results. NOTE: When you first enter Service Mode you will be immediately in Mode 1. You don't have to scroll to get into it.
Nigel, I am downloading to a phone but cannot find and open the attachment.
Sorry. I mean Nige
I found and printed the attachment. On the road today, will read this evening
No worries. If you have any questions please ask.
In will come back to you with codes
In Service Mode 1 - 2474-3 and 2476-3. In Service Mode 2- 2474-3, 2476-3, 2669-3, 2685-8, 2686-8 In Service Mode 3 -nothing. In Service Mode 4- E 360-3, E360-2, E 361-3, E391-1 I ran the code search several times. Thank you, Joe
Also, once or twice, in Service Mode 1, I had 2669-3, 2685-8 and 2686-8 appear.
These two Codes are both related to the LH joystick position sensors, one is for the front/rear sensor, the other for the left/right one. Obviously related to all machine movement commands. The fact that both are coming up at the same time could indicate there is a problem with the common sensor power supply or common ground to the joystick base, but that's not guaranteed. Use Page 4 of the document I posted earlier and go back into Service Mode. If you enter Service Mode 6, sub-modes 2 & 3 you will be able to see the value of the PWM signal from the LH joystick base position sensors. This should be 50% in the centre position and either 20% or 80% when the stick is moved full one way or the other. That will give you a quick and dirty measure of the output signal from the two position sensors. Attached are the troubleshooting procedures for both 2474-3 and 2476-3. If you read through them you'll quickly see that a lot of the steps are common to both, it's only when you get to the signal side that the procedures diverge. Try going through them and see what results you get. You will also need an electrical schematic that I'll send to you separately.
2669-3 is for the creep control switch, 2685-8/2686-8 are for the speed sensors (2 sensors in a common body) on the left side drive motor. None of them will prevent the machine from moving as far as I'm aware. The fact that they appear to come and go will make it hard to troubleshoot them, because the procedures only apply if the Code is Active 100% of the time. I would park all three of them on the back burner for now and concentrate on the Active Codes for the LH joystick.
Thank you Nige, this is so helpful. I will keep you informed. Joe