I have a 2023 Cat 259D3 S/N CW923501. Standard flow. I also have a Erskine Brush Chipper attachment standard flow Model 900790. I just bought the chipper used and am trying to get it up and running. I have been able to spin up the rotor on the chipper from inside the Cat cab. On the Erskine website, there is a factory video demonstrating the chipper with nobody in the cab of the CTL. I want to be able to get out of my CTL and chip brush like in the Erskine video. On the rocker switch panel located high on the operator's right, next to the display, the rocker switch closest to the display, on my machine, is a 2 position switch for the hydraulics ... press on the top to disable the hydraulics ... press on the bottom to enable them. In my Cat owner's manual M0091175-11 (en-us) July 2023 on Page 163 it reads ... "Note: If your machine is equipped with a Hydraulic Lockout switch only and the application requires the ability to override the hydraulic interlock system, see your Cat dealer to have a dual purpose switch installed." I think the switch they are referring to is Cat part number 263-5415, or its cousin. It's a 3 position rocker switch that would replace mine, giving me a third position that would allow me to exit the cab with the constant flow hydraulics continuing to power the chipper. I think I could set the machine in Park before exiting without turning off the hydraulics to the chipper. I have heard that the necessary wiring for the 3 position switch should already be behind the panel ... no need for a new harness, etc. From the factory, if I open the cab door, lift myself off the seat, or raise the lap bar (left bar only) the hydraulics are locked out. I installed the factory provided jumper behind the seat and now I can open the cab door. I suppose I could raise the right lap bar only (leaving the left lap bar down) and wiggle myself out of the cab. I suppose I could place a sand bag where my butt is supposed to be. Then I could use the chipper. But I would much rather do it the Cat way. Cat writes on page 164 of the above mentioned manual to "Only use interlock override function for hand-held work tools." There are a number of manufacturers that offer attachments such as brush chippers, backhoes, work platforms, and wood splitters who demonstrate their attachments with the cab seats empty. Even the old Cat brand backhoe attachment before the BH130 required the operator to get out of the cab seat, so there must be a group of folks who think that if you use some caution and common sense, getting out of the cab with the hydraulics running is not a death sentence. I have my local Cat dealer looking into this, but in the meanwhile, if anyone has some advice they would like to offer I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forums TM! Glad to have you. Did you buy the machine new?
Thank you! Great to be here! I bought the Cat 259D3 new last year, and the Erskine brush chipper used this month.
Good deal. I would lean on your dealer to help you sort this out, that's why you bought a new machine.
Wot he said........... However be prepared for a certain amount of reluctance on the part of the dealer because the factory does not generally approve of bypassing systems whose intended purpose is to keep the operator safe, like you did with the door switch, unless it's for testing purposes. FYI the purpose of the jumper is not to do what you are doing but to enable the machine to be operated if it is necessary to remove the door for any reason.
Correct. It should be plug&play AFAIK.
And it is....... Actually you have a 509-2819 Switch installed in your machine. You need to go back a generation in the switch Part Number to 263-5415. As you suspected the wiring already exists in the cab. See the attachment. All CW9-prefix machines are adaptable in this way.
Nige, I agree with everything you wrote 100%. And thank you for joining the conversation. Let's discuss for a moment this cut and paste verbiage below from my Cat manual. "Note: If your machine is equipped with a Hydraulic Lockout switch only and the application requires the ability to override the hydraulic interlock system, see your Cat dealer to have a dual purpose switch installed." May I have your thoughts on what Cat had in mind when they wrote "... and the application requires the ability to override the hydraulic interlock system ..."? Certainly Cat is aware that there is a small industry of attachments out there that require hydraulics for power and someone must be outside the cab in order to operate those specific attachments. I find it noteworthy that, to my knowledge at least, Cat itself does not offer any such attachments. I think as a form of CYA, that's why Cat wrote if you're going to override the hydraulic interlock system, only do so for the purpose of operating (hydraulic) hand tools. Perhaps all this puts Cat in a damned if we do, damned if we don't, position with regards to customers that wish to own and operate an attachment such as an Erskine brush chipper with their Cat CTL. Your thoughts?
Nige, I just reviewed your attachment. I noted that there was no mention of the interlock system for the seat occupancy switch, or for the door closed switch ... only for the armrests being raised. Hmmm.
There are two independent sets of interlock/safety systems on the machine. The series-wired operator presence switch in the seat base plus the armrest switch are safety devices for the propel system. The door (implement lockout) switch is, not surprisingly, for the implement hydraulic system. I think you are exactly right, and the chronology of the type of switch used in production and the intended operation of each type appears to back this up. Like you I would suspect the Cat's product liability people have been involved at some point along the line. It would seem logical to have a "standard" system that works for probably 99.9% of machines sold that do not use any type of attachment that requires the operator to be out of the cab with the hydraulics functioning, and give owners the option to install a different type of switch for the 0.1% of machines that need it, rather than have all machines equipped from the factory with a switch that permits such operation. The expression "you can't fix stupid" is going round & round in my head and I have no idea why........
Nige, I just reviewed your attachment. I noted that there was no mention of the interlock system for the seat occupancy switch, or for the door closed switch ... only for the armrests being raised. Hmmm
Nige, your last sentence has put a grin on my face that I can't get rid of. What a great way to start the day! Plus, I can now proclaim to my wife that I am a member of the 0.1% Club. When the dust settles, it seems to me that in this situation the Cat is just a 10,000 pound diesel powered hydraulic pump serving fluid to Mr. Erskine. As long as my Cat just sits there and doesn't move, if something were to happen that would make the news, I don't see how Cat would be to blame. Unfortunately, I suspect there are plenty of personal injury attorneys who would beg to disagree. Thank you so much for your input on the topic!
That is correct. You should remain mindful during the operation that having nobody in the cab means there are no “eyes on” the warning lights and alarms of the Monitor system. So if anything goes wrong there is non-one to see/hear the warnings.
That's another very good point. Add concrete pump to the list of attachments ...
I think this about sums it up.......
If any one of the 279D's I have bought had such a switch I would have the dealer remove it before taking delivery. Put me in the 99.9%.
I think that's probabiy one of the reasons it was done, apart from for product liability concerns. Anyone apart from an owner-operator doesn't want their employees to be given the opportunity to get creative.........
Could it be.....when you buy the new switch from the CAT dealer (or have them install it) it comes with a mandatory legal document that you must read, acknowledge, and sign ? The dealer may also apply a warning sticker next to the new switch indicating the system change.
I might mention, somewhat after the fact, that this 259D3 is on my personal property, never gets taken off of my personal property, and never gets operated by anyone other than myself. Period. If such were not the case, I would never consider installing a 263-5415 rocker switch.