Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289d error code E441-1 & E875-2

bknvc1 ยท 2023-08-07 08:28

Replaced the alternator as it tested bad and I am still getting the E441-1 & E875-2 codes. Cleaned all the connectors to the alternator and the power wire going to the battery. Cleaned the battery terminals as well. Tested the battery and it reads 12.47v. Tested the battery with the machine running and it reads 12.1v. Any advise on where the issue might be?

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2023-08-07 09:29

    Something's wrong with your alternator because it should be churning out 13.5v+ if it is charging correctly. You said you measured the voltage at the battery but did you also measure the voltage at the alternator output.?

  2. #2bknvc12023-08-07 09:31

    No, just at the battery. I was wondering if something might be bad with the new alternator. I will have to look up how to test at the alternator as I have never done that before.

  3. #392U 34062023-08-07 09:45

    Just check the voltage at the alternator to start with. If its 13.5V at the alternator then you've got a poor connection somewhere between it and the battery.

  4. #4bknvc12023-08-07 11:26

    Do you know if there are any fuses associated withe the alternator?

  5. #5Nige2023-08-07 11:49

    Sounds like you need an electrical schematic. Post a Serial Number please. There are a dozen or so different options of 289D.

  6. #6bknvc12023-08-07 17:59

    The product identification number is CAT0289DJTAW04307.

  7. #7bknvc12023-08-07 18:38

    I have tested the voltage at the alternator and it reads 12.2v. I had the auto parts store test the alternator and they showed it reading 14.7v. Now I am wondering if there is a fusible link, fuse or relay somewhere that is fualty.

  8. #892U 34062023-08-07 19:05

    I had this exact issue before. Unfortunately I just can't remember what the cause was, it was almost a decade ago. I do remember it was a pretty easy fix.

  9. #9bknvc12023-08-07 19:10

    I am sure it is. But I am stumped as to what it is or where to look for it.

  10. #10Nige2023-08-08 14:41

    You mentioned "auto parts store" so I take it you are not using an OEM Cat alternator.? The Cat alternator requires battery voltage on the "R" terminal for excitation. Do you have the excitation connected.? See below.

  11. #11bknvc12023-08-08 14:45

    I took it there to have them bench test it. I do have the excit wire and it is reading 11.9v so voltage is getting to the alternator. The new alternator is the exact same model number as the one that I replaced.

  12. #12Nige2023-08-08 14:51

    Have you tested the voltage between the alternator terminal marked "B+" in the illustration above and machine frame ground.? That would eliminate all the machine wiring.

  13. #13bknvc12023-08-08 15:01

    I put the red lead of the voltage meter to the white wire (B+) and the negative lead to the bare metal of the mounting bracket where the alternator bolts to the engine and tested the voltage with the key turned on. This was the test the Catapiler DYI call guy had me do.

  14. #14Nige2023-08-08 15:13

    The alternator will not supply a charge to the battery unless the engine is running.

  15. #15bknvc12023-08-08 15:19

    Understand that. Was just checking to see if the excit wire was supplying current to the alternator

  16. #16Nige2023-08-08 15:27

    Try unhooking the wire from the B+ terminal of the alternator and then with the engine running measure the voltage between that terminal and machine frame ground.

  17. #17ozarkag2023-08-08 22:43

    Exite (key on) voltage would be checked at the small plug in. . . Not at B+ which is direct to battery.

  18. #18bknvc12023-08-14 19:07

    Update...was sent a replacement alternator. I now have 13.45v coming out the back of the alternator and the volt meter is measing 13.2v inside the cab (not sure if this is due to the battery being a bit low but it has climbed to 13.4v as i type this). Let the machine run for 10 minutes and did not get any of the earlier mentioned codes. I think I might have solved my issue. Many thanks to those who responded and lent me your knowledge and experience.