Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weird electrical issue New Holland LS185.B (SEE VIDEO)

johnbulloutdoors ยท 2023-08-06 21:32

Hello, I have a weird electrical issue going on with my Skid Steer. It's a 2007 New Holland LS185.b. It has a fully charged battery, but checkout the dash lights. They fade in an out. When I turn the key to start, there is nothing. Any ideas? Here is the link to this 30 second video:

Replies7
  1. #1Arny L2023-08-06 21:52

    To me it still looks like low voltage, did you load test your fully charged battery

  2. #2johnbulloutdoors2023-08-06 21:56

    Yes, I know it looks like that. Battery is fully charged and I hooked it up to my jump pack. Made not difference.

  3. #3Arny L2023-08-06 22:34

    Check your pos and neg cables, they can look ok but not carry any voltage. Do you know how to do voltage drop test.

  4. #4johnbulloutdoors2023-08-07 09:24

    I haven't done a voltage drop test yet. It was operating fine before I shut it off, and I was hoping for a simple diagnosis. Now, it's parked with the bucket down, hard to access the engine. I think I might try to jump start directly to the starter simply to move it and raise the bucket.

  5. #5Arny L2023-08-07 13:12

    Well that would rule out starter if it goes.

  6. #6johnbulloutdoors2023-08-07 18:57

    Solution: Several things going on here. 1. The silicon protective cover for the red terminal of the battery was missing. 2. The clamp that holds the battery in place was off. 3. The battery might be too skinny for the battery compartment (but not sure) 4. All this led to the positive side of the battery sliding around about 2 inches closer to the edge of the machine, just enough for the red terminal to be slightly toughing the frame. I slid the battery back into position and it started right up.

  7. #7Arny L2023-08-07 20:56

    Great job, I guess it was a simple fix after all. Hopefuly you didnt fry anything else,