Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 289D quick connect assembly diagram

FLYWHEEL PRIME ยท 2024-07-12 15:36

Does anyone have access to a diagram that shows the parts associated with quick coupler on a 289D? I'm asking because I bought my machine used, it came with quick coupler from factory, and the original owner tore it out because he said it was a pile of junk. I'm trying to piece together what I would need if I ever wanted to put it back in. Serial number TAW02596

Replies10
  1. #1FLYWHEEL PRIME2024-07-12 17:58

    From all the research I can do on the interwebz, it seems like the part # I'm looking for is 603-0397, but that is the entire kit. No dice on the individual components, I don't think they sell them.

  2. #2Chrisso2024-07-12 18:31

    There's 2 types of quick couplers. Actually three if you include the manual coupler with the levers. The 603-0397 you mentioned is the is the full hydraulic version and works well if grease is kept up to it. To fit this to your machine there's a bunch of hoses to run up the loader frame and fabrication work (welding/drilling) to make it work. And its not cheap. This 603-0397 kit is available and comes complete except for the hoses (but hose couplings are included). I don't see any reason why you couldn't buy parts individually. There's another version that still has the cylinder but is controlled by an electric motor which is basically a rack/pinion setup. This could be the version the original owner was referring to. It's cheap and easy to fit compared to the full hyd version. They were a pile of junk. Your machine came factory with the mechanical levers. If it had anything else it must've been dealer fitted, or fitted later. Hope that helps.

  3. #3FLYWHEEL PRIME2024-07-12 18:33

    It must have had the electric option originally, I think there are 2 or 3 electrical connectors left open up there. I'm assuming it was just under-powered?

  4. #4Chrisso2024-07-12 18:36

    The electric motors fail. Usually caused by lack of grease to the pins down below and/or not being kept clean.

  5. #5FLYWHEEL PRIME2024-07-12 18:44

    do you have any idea what the part number on that is/was?

  6. #6Chrisso2024-07-12 21:44

    345-4744 is the arrangement number for the electric quick coupler arrangement from what I can see. Any decent dealer parts interpreter should be able to help you out with individual p/n's I would imagine. Just need to make it clear to them what the machine is optioned with, not how the machine was shipped from factory. Would be worth taking a few photos and showing them too.

  7. #7Chrisso2024-07-12 21:49

    Oh and the wires break too. The ones that ride inside a hose that run from the load frame to the bulkhead assembly parallel to the bucket level sensor wires, but no more often that the bucket level sensor wires fail. The full hydraulic arrangement does away with those wires.

  8. #8FLYWHEEL PRIME2024-07-13 08:49

    I spent 30 minutes at my local dealer parts counter, they admitted from the start they pretty much know nothing about "lawn and garden" equipment lol. They have a bunch of D7s in the back and a couple fellers (553? 554? something like that). In their defense, they did give me a name and number of a parts guy they think can help, but it was Friday afternoon by that point.

  9. #992U 34062024-07-13 09:18

    Electric unit was a straight up POS. The gears inside were plastic and they just shred apart.

  10. #10Nige2024-07-13 09:38

    Wot he said. You either need the basic hand-operated coupler levers - which TBH if you are not changing attachments on an hourly basis would probably work just fine. Or you need the full hydraulic system. Accept no substitues........