Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289d too much hydraulic oil???

bknvc1 · 2025-11-04 11:21

What if anything would happen if there is too much hydraulic oil in the machine? Would it cause it to function poorly? It was reading about 3/4 through the green cold. When hot about 3/4 through the red indicator. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-11-05 13:12

    Nah, it will either make a mess or not but it can’t really hurt it.

  2. #2Welder Dave2025-11-06 20:23

    I'm curious what the green and red indicator is for? It sounds more like a hydraulic oil temperature gauge than fluid level indicator.

  3. #3bknvc12025-11-06 20:43

    It is a guage on the hydraulic oil tank. O know it measures how full the tank is. I was just curious what would happen when it starts reading in the red when the fluid gets hot.

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-11-07 22:11

    I'd guess on a new machine there would be a warning in the cab if the hyd. oil got too hot. You should use an IR temp gun to measure the hyd. temperature at the top and bottom of the tank and various other components. There may be an explanation of the gauge in the operators manual. I have an electric hyd. temp. gauge as part of the backhoe option on my track loader. You have to slow down or stop to let the oil cool if it gets too far in the red. Unfortunately my gauge doesn't work but I don't run flat out for long periods. If I was digging at full throttle for hours at a time I'd want the gauge to work. I might look into fixing when I have some free time.