Hi all. New to the site. I have a 2015 cat 299D2 XHP. With a hm418c mastication head. I'm having issues with the engine temp running hot. Around 225. The service at my local dealer says that is normal for the machines. Seems to hot to me?
Hot, but not too hot. If it stays there I would just keep an eye on it. Back when I was pretending to be a truck driver we always said 250 was the end of the world as that was the upper limit for the engine, oil, and just below where the radiator cap popped open. Running a head like that, you're loading the engine constant and also pumping heat into the hydraulics so you've got the machine's tongue hanging out before it even has a chance to stretch. Not wrong, not bad, just using about all it has to offer. Obviously make sure your radiator and any other coolers stay blown out, there's no material buildup between coolers if they're stacked, all rubber air seals are in place and cooling air vents/louvers are undamaged and clear. Oh, and get that in writing from your dealer in case there are warranty issues down the road?
Do you have the optional external hydraulic oil cooler mounted on top of the cab? Cat offers this option specifically for forestry mulching.
No I do not have the hydraulic cooler. My hydraulic temp stays around 160. Only having eng oil temp problems.
Still probably adding to the heat load, though I am not sure of the cooling setup on those newer machines.
My 2016 299d2 xhp steel tracks with fecon head ran 207 degree water temp tracking 3 miles into a job site not running the mulcher outside air temp was between 83 and 90. Also have a 2014 299d xhp rubber track with hm415b mulcher it ran 209 degree water temp. I'm sure when working the machine the water temps are higher. An air compressor is vital for blowing out the radiators. Is your machine setting off any alerts or alarms? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ran it yesterday outside temp low 70's. Blew there radiator out extremely well before I started. Just tracking around in rabbit The coolant temp was around 215. While working it was consistently in the high 220 range. It would set the alarm off at 230. I would stop for 30 to 45 seconds and it would cool back down to 218-220. This would happen every 10 to 15 minutes. I being as gently as possible on the machine as well. Very frustrating. Hydraulic temp was pretty consistent at 160.
I would have guessed your ambient was higher than that, given that bit of data then I think you have an issue somewhere, and the dealer should be helping you. What elevation are you working at, and is the air cleaner intake and filters squeaky clean?
Hmm, shouldn't get that warm just driving around unles theres and issue or they are using a high temp t/stat. Might be worth replacing the t/stat if it's not abhuge pain. It could he not opening all the way up or is just stuck in onenposition for some reason and not allowing enough coolant flow. If your hydros are only running 160 the engine cooling system shouldn't be under a huge load. Now if it was hot outside and the hydros are running hot that would be a different story.
Before replacing the thermostat I think it would be a good idea to shoot the temperatures of the top & bottom radiator hoses with an infra-red thermometer - at the same time take the temperature of the engine block, thermostat housing, water pump, and anything else you can think of. Post the results here and let's see them.