I have a 299C, s/n JSP00547 which does not have the in cab error code display. Is there a reliable aftermarket CAT error code reader available which can display the codes without causing problems with the ECM? Thanks
Can you post a photo of the instrument panel in the upper RH corner of the cab please.
Here is a picture of the instrument panels. Since there is no upper right hand instrument I was wondering if I can access the error codes through the diagnostic port?
Do you have any other Cat equipment, or is this the only one.?
This is the only one.
In that case an alternative idea to an external Code Reader would be to replace the current panel containing a single gauge with a different panel that allows Codes to be read using three buttons built into the panel. Attached is an article showing how Codes, and other parameters, can be read using that optional panel.
I did find/see the display (346-6336) in the Cat parts manual. Cat wants $1,750 for it. The wiring harness is behind the current panel blank. I'm not opposed to adding the panel just as long as it works. Here is the source of the problem. When operating the machine, moving forward, I'll start receiving flashing and auditable alarms. When I take my hand off the left joystick the alarms will go off and I'll proceed a few more yards and then the process repeats. Moving forward, alarms go off. Take hands off the joysticks alarms go away. I'm going at this blind without the error code. But my gut is telling me a left hand joystick issue or speed sensor issue. I'm located in Centerville TX if anyone has the diagnostic tool(s) and is close by that would like to run a service call. Feel free to respond.
To be honest in your situation I would probably do the same thing. It will work. It's been used by others here on the forum. Have you investigated the availability of a second-hand panel.? There is also an earlier Part Number 264-8861 for that same panel before the P/N was upgraded. Either P/N will work.
Thanks Nige! I do have both the old and new part numbers. I'm all for a second-hand panel if I can find one. If anyone has a source for the right hand display (coolant and hydraulic oil temperature gauges and the digital display), please chime in. Thanks
All I can tell you is that there have been a couple of posters on the forum who managed to score used panels. One suggestion is to ask your local Cat dealer's Parts Dept if they have any leads on used parts. Sometimes you get lucky.
That could be either a speed sensor issue or a difference in the calibration of the LH/RH hydrostatic drive pump solenoids. Does it act the same in reverse.? An option if you can't find a local independent tech with Cat ET might be to trailer the machine to your local dealer and have them download a Product Status Report (in the optional Adobe pdf format) without talking the machine off the trailer. With a PSR you will have all the info necessary for searching out the applicable troubleshooting procedures for any Active Diagnostic Code.
Thanks again Nige. This problem started after I fixed a hydraulic return hose break a week of so ago (you chimed in on that post as well). I'll check the sensor wires/connectors. Maybe something got bumped during the repair or when I cleaned the bottom of the machine out just trying to find the leak.