I have lost power to the fuel transfer pump on a cat 299d hcl, should it run all the time or intermitently? I switched relays and checked fuses, and still nothing. I jumped the pump from the battery and it worked.
Do you want an electrical schematic to help you tracing power.? if you turn the key on but do not start the engine the pump should run (to prime the system) for 30 seconds or so then turn off. If on the other hand you turn the key on and immediately start the engine the pump should run all the time.
I have the schematic and tried to trace it but run out of time. i will be back to the machine in 2 weeks and see if I can trace it. So it should run all the time while the engine is running? It quit on me when it was down to 1/2 tank. I added fuel and ran it for about 45 minutes. The main filter never filled up and the transfer pump never ran so I installed a new pump and it didn't run either. Then I checked for power to the pump and had none so I jumpered from the battery and was able to start it. Thanks for your reply. Wayne th
Did you happen to look inside the inline screen that is mounted directly below the electric fuel pump.? Past experience says you maight be a bit horrified at the amount of sediment you find in it. The punp is powered on wire 327 Pink from the fuel pump relay. That's where I would look first, but also worth also checking the ground at the pump. The fuel pump relay contacts are pulled in by a feed on 365 Yellow which comes from the Machine ECM.
A new screen/filter came with the transfer pump. we did check the ground at the pump. I will check 365 yellow at the fuel pump relay when I get back to the machine. Thank you very much.
oh boy I had a ton of problems with mine after replacing it the same filter - replaced pump - replaced filter Still had problems, ended up replacing the fuel line from the tank to the bottom of the pump and my problems went away. A LOT of debris can pile up on top of the line and probably pinch it btw.. I didn't run braided steel line, but I could see me doing that again just to give is some extra toughness.
I was back at the 299d this weekend. I decided to check the fuse again and it appeared to be alright. I had tester there so I decided to test it . It was bad, so I replaced it and the pump worked. I used it for about an hour, stopping and starting it a couple times. It stuttered a couple times and then smoothed out. I think it's fixed. Thanks Nige. I should have tested the fuse first.
Always pays to check the simple stuff first, and sometimes you can’t depend on the Mk 1 eyeball…..
Your right, lesson learned.