Cat 299D2 - Error Codes - Just threw these codes today. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problems Thanks! E569-2- Unexpected (Left) Motor Reverse Speed Detected Check the Motor speed sensor and wiring E570-2 - Unexpected (Right) Motor Forward Speed Detected Check the Motor speed sensor and wiring E571-2 - Unexpected (Right) Motor Reverse Speed Detected Check the Motor speed sensor and wiring Model - 2018 Cat 299D2 XHP SERIAL NUMBER: DX203342
Pull both the speed sensors and check the nose ends are clean. Other than that follow the on-screen instructions and check the wiring, especially the connectors in the sensor harnesses right the way to the ECM.
With all the issues that keep coming up on this machine maybe it's time to consider gtting hold of a Service Manual. The Cat Publication Reference is UENR3710. They come up from time to time for sale used on the usual internet sites but I don't see one at the moment. A new one retails at $1,340 BTW, so bear that in mind. Another thought on the E569/570/571 Events. Get into the panel and monitor the RPM displayed for the speed sensors of the LH & RH travel motors. Do they show zero when the machine is stopped.? Do the displayed values change smoothly as you accelrate/decelerate.?
Nige , Thanks for the quick response. I'll check check the wiring, especially the connectors in the sensor harnesses tomorrow. Also I found a Caterpillar CAT 299D2 Compact Track Loader FD2 Service Repair Manual in USB PDF on Ebay for $64.99. I woud have to print it out and put it in a binder. What does a original Cat (Used) hard copy service manual normaly sell for on Ebay?
I would recommend that you steer clear of that one and anything like it. These are usually Eastern European knock-offs produced by downloading random documents from the Cat online system and other HEF members who have bought them are of the opinion that they are a waste of money. Prices vary according to condition. The one thing that you can be sure of is that the sellers know what these manuals cost new and price their used offerings accordingly. There is also the option of a manual in CD format for about half the cost of a paper version. With that you could simply print out the section you needed. See this LINK for manuals to suit your Serial Number. BTW a Service Manual includes an Operation & Maintenance Manual so you don't have to buy one separately.
I came across this troubleshooting flow chart that may be of interest to you. You can do some but not all of it because you don't have ET. If you find nothing and the issue persists a recalibration of the hydrostatic punmp solenoids may be in order. This will also require ET.
Going back to what I was saying about cobbled up ones on sale that are a mish-mash of downloads from the online system all cobbled together in one file, see this Example
The codes has cleared. It seems like this code is thrown when I power wash the machines and the tracks. I'm wondering if the water maybe effecting the grounding?
More likely water getting into the electrical connectors in the speed sensor wiring. That’s why the message says to first check sensors & wiring - strange that…….
227D2 here (BL200773) Been throwing these codes but only on the right side...I checked all the speed sensors and RPMs on display check out. I lift the machine on blocks and I can't get these codes at all. As soon as I try the machine on the ground I get crabbing from the right side...I can drive maybe 20 feet and then sudden the brakes slam Would it be the motor or the valve driving the motor? I had the motors replaced once a few years back. Speed sensors don't seem to be the issue (I put a new one on the right side to make sure)
First thing I would suggest is a recalibration of the hydrostatic pump solenoids, especially if they were never done when the drive motors were replaced.
I am assuming this requires a technician from CAT? I am sure they did that when the drive motors were replaced by them 4 years ago... the joystick position and corresponding wheel RPM match...it's just it comes up with drive error randomly and it's quite scary (slams the brake) This thing all started when I noticed a small drip of hydraulic fluid at the bottom of each motor. I then power washed the machine (was full of mud and oil) ... I then checked the speed sensors and wiring but did not check the pumps.
It does, and it was last done 4 years ago….. Not sure how that works. For example the joystick should show 50% in the centre position when the machine is not moving, and close to 0% when it’s pulled right back and the machine is moving In reverse…… Please list the Codes/Events that come up on your display in the order that they appear when the machine goes into fault mode.
the only codes that show up are E570-2 - Unexpected (Right) Motor Forward Speed Detected Check the Motor speed sensor and wiring or E571-2 - Unexpected (Right) Motor Reverse Speed Detected Check the Motor speed sensor and wiring depending on direction I am driving. And then it slams the brake and I need to turn machine off and back on to drive.
Let me attempt to explain how the speed sensors/travel direction detection works. Each side of the machine has two sensors moulded into a common body with a 4-wire connection. Power and ground are common with a separate output signal wire for each of the #1 & #2 sensors. The two sensors are "X" degrees apart and the direction of machine travel is determined by which one of the two is triggered first. e.g. if #1 is triggered before #2 then the machine is moving forwards. If #2 is triggered before #1 then the machine is moving in reverse. Speed is simply determined by the rate at which the sensors are triggered as the gear teeth of the drive motor pass in front of them. However your issue is apparently NOT related direction of travel but the actual speed of travel being " unexpected" based on the joystick input signal. This is the critical factor and is what makes me suspect that the PWM signal from the joystick (as input to the ECM) is not being faithfully repeated by the output of the hydrostatic drive pump to the RH travel motor. This is what is controlled by the pump output solenoid. Try going through the attached troubleshooting flow chart procedure and see where it leads you. My suspicion is still with the calibration of the pump output solenoid for the right side of the machine being "off". The unfortunate part is that without access to Cat ET you won't be able to do all of it.
I agree ...the good news is my cat technician is nearby (many times I just drive the machine to them as it's only a few miles). I might need to bring the motors in as well as there is a tiny drip of hydraulic oil at the bottom of each motor
TBH the more I think about it the more it seems likely that the relationship between the joystick signal and the pump output to the RH drive motor is the prime suspect. Calibration would be the obvious next move. I wouldn't recommend removing motors just now until the cause of the oil drips has been investigated. It could be nothing more than a leaking o-ring.
Nige I have a 299 d2 cat and have checked all wires to ecm from sensors and even installed a new joystick. After reading this mine sounds like bad solenoid. My question is which solenoid is it?
Can you start with a Serial Number please. Next question is what Events you have. The person who created this thread had E570-2 & E571-2. What do you have on your machine.? Also do you have any Diagnostic Codes.? These would be similar to the above but without the "E" in front.
Do you think it needs to be recalibrated?
Which solenoid is it for that control?
Or if I had a wire diagram I could find it that way I guess
So many questions - still no Serial Number. Sorry but my crystal ball is broken.
299 d2 cat 2017
I have checked everything you fixing to ask more likely
Thanks for supplying the Serial Number. Go back to Page 1, Post #15 and read through the text. Then download the UENR3699-18 Unexpected Motor Speed document. That document contains a troubleshooting tree for any of the four Event Numbers (568, 569, 570, 571) so whatever specific Events you have on your machine it will work. Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic.
Thanks ole buddy