Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299D2 XHP Rooftop Auxiliary Cooler Malfunction

bso32177 · 2025-08-09 21:59

Cat 299D2 XHP S/N DX202385, almost 4000 hours total but engine and hydraulic system has around 600 hours. The auxiliary cooler kit in question is part number 451-8378 i believe, from what i can tell on SIS its very similar if not exact. I have discovered the fan on top of the cab isn't operational while the high flow is engaged at any time. I've started to check the usual suspects. Fuses in cab, relays, 60amp in-line fuse, wiring along the way to the fan seems to be in good shape, haven't found a rub in the wiring, all I've checked seems fine. I HAVE NOT supplied 12v power to the fan itself yet to see if it will operate. I've made it as far as the magnetic switch that's included in the kit (part number 117-9080 i believe, located under the cab, against the back of the cab tucked up where the backside of the fuse panel would be). I've had no formal education as it pertains to 12v direct current systems, but my question is why would a magnetic switch be utilized for this system? I've googled 12v dc magnetic switch advantages and disadvantages BUT how is it intended to work for this application? How would i check this particular switch to see if its operating as intended before moving onto the fan itself? I've got my multimeter ready. ​

Replies2
  1. #1heymccall2025-08-09 22:06

    Just a heavy duty relay. When active, 3 out of 4 connections will have 12Volt. As for the fan, if it's a SPAL pancake fan, I'd suspect it first.

  2. #2bso321772025-08-09 22:09

    It is a SPAL i believe, also has about the same 4000 hours on it as well I'd assume.