Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on a 302.5 Cat machine. Are they very strong and durable? Thanks in advance!
I can't speak to the 302.5, but I have some initial impressions on the 303.5e having just bought a new one. It has so far appeared to be very strong and durable. I have run similar sized machines that my friends own that were not Cat machines. One was a Kubota that was around 6000 lb. While a nice machine, the 303.5 is in what I consider to be a different class even though they are both mini Ex's. The Cat is substantially heavier built, and has many wonderful features such as the new COMPASS control system. Since I am currently running a mower on it, it is very nice to be able to run continuous flow to the Aux. hydraulics and be able to adjust the flow rate as well. I don't know what series of 302.5 you are thinking about, but if it is close to what I have, I think you will like it a lot. Hope this helps.
Ok thanks Go2. I went and looked at the 302.5 the other day and it was in ruff condition so i passed on it.
Have a 303 CR. Bought it with 1,800hrs. and got 2,500 on the clock now. It's been an ok machine. Not great. Strong for its size, but the controls aren't the greatest. Quite jerky. Also having quite a few 'little" issues in terms of hydraulic leaks and such. If I were buying the machine brand new, I'd say middle of the road performance with high end price tag. I just got a deal on it I could not resist, so I bought it. Probably try a TK or a JD next.
We have a 304CR and we couldn't be happier with it for what we use it for, mainly digging footings, trenches, or moving something up or down a slope. Been a great machine with nothing but the normal PM. Still have the original set of tracks on it, 1800 hrs.
the 302.5 is a very different class machine from the 304 and up. Can't really compare those. We had one on rent for 5 months this year. Good, solid, strong machine for its size.
Didn't realize that it was that it was up in class that far from the 302.5
Neither did I until I spoke with our Cat salesman. We have a 305, as well, in our fleet. Here in Ontario the 302.5 is available as a basic ROPs only machine, any model larger comes with full cab etc, witch would double the cost or more.