Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 304.5

jeepster1 ยท 2023-12-18 17:01

Earlier this yr i bought a 2002 caterpillar 304.5 excavator. The the right foot pedal( boom swing) has always been stiff and does not return to neutral like the left pedal does. I have taken the floor up and cleaned lots of caked in mud and rock out of it and sprayed 4 joints with silicone and pb blaster with no improvement. It has about twice as much resistance as the left pedal. Is there a spring supposed to be attached somewhere that I can't see? What causes the left aux pedal to return to neutral? I haven't removed the hoses yet. I know it needs major cleaning before i do that. Also, the blade lever "locks" or pops into its lowest position. I really dont think that is normal. I've lubed the cable and piece that slides into the actuator. Has anyone heard of this happening with the blade lever? Thanks. Thanks.

Replies12
  1. #1heymccall2023-12-18 18:05

    No spring in swing pedal. Most likely the pivot bushing is seized. #6

  2. #2heymccall2023-12-18 18:06

    As for blade lever, if it locks into the lower position, it's probably equipped with a float detent. When it's locked, does the blade not lift the machine?

  3. #3jeepster12023-12-18 18:14

    Thank you. Which one is the pivot bushing? I tried to lube the tube that rotates when the pedalnis pushed. Also does the left side have a spring or what causes it to return to neutral? The blade lever does lift the machine. Maybe I just need to use more finess with it. Thanks again.

  4. #4Nige2023-12-18 18:53

    Regarding the blade control the same thing was discussed a couple of weeks ago HERE . I know it is a slightly different model but the blade controls work exactly the same way. If you don't have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it yet you really need to acquire one. I assume your machine S/N begins with with ANR or WAK. If so this is the one you are looking for $50 to download from Cat. Can't see anything at the moment on any of the internet marketplaces.

  5. #5jeepster12023-12-18 18:56

    Sorry I just saw the parts diagram. I soaked that piece well. I suppose replacement is the only cure? Also, when operating the pedal, do you need to tap it to bring back to neutral or does it return as the left side does? Thanks

  6. #6jeepster12023-12-18 19:00

    Yes, it's an ANR. I'll check it out. Thank you.

  7. #7jeepster12023-12-18 19:01

    Sorry I just saw the parts diagram. I soaked that piece well. I suppose replacement is the only cure? Also, when operating the pedal, do you need to tap the

  8. #8jeepster12023-12-18 19:03

    Tap the pedal to return to neutral? With no spring how does it return to neutral as the auxiliary pedal does?

  9. #9Nige2023-12-18 19:03

    Click HERE , put SEBU7360 in the box and click Search. You can do it as a Guest.

  10. #10jeepster12023-12-18 19:16

    Thank you, I appreciate that.

  11. #11ahart2023-12-18 19:24

    Your pedals should return to neutral by the force of the centering spring in the control valve since they are connected with a manual linkage. I would unhook the linkage and get it freed up, should fix your centering issue.

  12. #12jeepster12023-12-18 19:33

    Yes sir, thank you. That's the spring I couldn't locate. It makes sense now.