Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 305 CR 2006 HDGT K4N GOVERNOR

DGR05 ยท 2020-09-18 17:56

Can anyone help with a governor problem on a CAT 305 CR 2006 HDGT. Just had the K4N engine reconditioned and the only way I can get it to start is by manually working the fuel rack through the oil filler. As soon as I let it go, the governor kills the engine. It is almost like the governor is working in reverse. Is this possible ?. The reco place in Australia has been of limited help, and everything appears to be in the correct order according to the limited diagrams I have, and looking through the inspection plates. The throttle actuator while working, has no control either. Can anyone please suggest a solution before I take the timing cover off ?

Replies5
  1. #1Per Eriksson2020-09-22 12:40

    Don't remember excactly how it looks inside but it might be that the governor weights and the disc riding against them are positioned on the wrong side? No 4 and 5.

  2. #2Per Eriksson2020-09-22 13:27
  3. #3Per Eriksson2020-09-22 13:39
  4. #4Per Eriksson2020-09-22 13:41
  5. #5DGR052020-09-23 04:48

    Thank very much Per Eriksson, really appreciate the diagrams. Discovered that when the timing cover was put on, some gasket glue had dripped down onto the tie rod spring which had not been connected the the rack for reasons unknown and was glued it to the block. By the time I had discovered it after many attempts to start the engine, the spring had stretched. The sagging spring was then preventing the tie rod from operating rack to it full extent. Have purchased a new spring and gasket. Thank you again for the diagrams and your help.