Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 305 Oil pressure

gabelmatt · 2010-12-09 18:51

Hey Guys I have a 2009 Cat 305CCR. No that winter is here (in Ontario) evrytime I seem to start it up when it has been sitting outside the oil pressure light and alarm seem to go off. My old 305 didn't ever do this. Is it just from being to heavy of oil, or is there another problem. Any help would be great. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Lee-online2010-12-09 21:23

    What oil are you using and what temps are you seeing.

  2. #2fast2010-12-09 23:32

    I have a 304ccr and mine has all ways done that to when it is pretty cold out, I would always preheat it and start the machine and if it did it I would just turn it off and restart it and usually it wouldn't do it again. I should have my new machine in a couple of weeks, I'll be interested to see if it does the same thing.

  3. #3gabelmatt2010-12-10 16:44

    I run 15W40 so I'm not sure if I should use a lighter oil for winter or what. I've never had to do that with any other machines so I'm not sure. Temp her some nights gets down to -15c or so.

  4. #4Lee-online2010-12-10 18:09

    I think it would be better to change to a lighter oil. These are the engine oils and temp ranges. Oil Viscosities...... °C...................°F ........................Min..... Max.... Min.... Max Sae 0w-40....... -40..... 40....... -40.... 104 sae 5w-30........ -30..... 30...... -22..... 86 sae 0w-30........ -40..... 30...... -40..... 86 sae 5w-40........ -30..... 50...... -22..... 122 sae 10w-30...... -18..... 40........ 0...... 104 sae 10w-40...... -18..... 50........ 0...... 122 sae 15w-40...... -9.5 ... 50........ 15..... 122

  5. #5xcmark2010-12-10 22:27

    I would run the new shell T-6 syn oil that you can get at Walmart in the blue bottle. 5-40 , good cold start and its ok end when its warm. once its summer I would go back to 15-50 for 4 month.