Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3054 vs. Cat C4.4

basicequipment ยท 2017-10-31 09:29

Hey guys, I have an old ASV 4810 skid steer with a turboed 3054 engine in it that slung a rod and busted the block. I have found a C4.4 engine coming up for sale that I believe to be the same block at least and hopefully most other parts are the same as well. Just wondering if any of you more experienced guys can lead me in the right direction as far as properly comparing these 2 engines based on your working knowledge and the 2 ID tags attached. I hope they are an exact swap but I can't confirm. I'm hoping that I would be lucky enough to only swap a few accessory parts but worse case, I need to be sure the block and heads are the same. This machine is running a high flow mulcher head and the engines see a lot of abuse so I would like to put a low hour engine in but the machine is almost 20 years old and is not worth the cost of a reman. Thanks in advance for any insight and if there is a better category on the forum for this question please point me there. Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1CM19952017-10-31 18:56

    I don't know if the two are interchangeable but I have a 3054C in a 533E compactor and a 3054T in a 420D backhoe. Hopefully our more knowledgable members will chime in, there are a lot of these engines out there getting some age on them.

  2. #2Cmark2017-10-31 21:22

    Part numbers wise, nothing matches up so I don't see the C4.4 being a good donor engine for parts. That's not to say that they don't share the same approximate dimensions as far as the external envelope and mounting points go so it may be possible to make the C4.4 fit in the machine. It won't be straightforward though as the C4.4 is a common rail engine and you will need to install the ECM and make the wiring work, along with the coolant and fuel lines. Personally I would file it in the too-hard basket and keep looking for a 3054.

  3. #3basicequipment2017-11-01 21:06

    Thanks guys. I decided to let C4.4 pass and continue searching for a (hopefully) low hour 3054. I was on the road all day today but I will start calling on some salvage Cat 420's tomorrow as CM1995 suggested to see what turns up. I'll start with machinerytrader and rock and dirt but any of you fellows have suggestions of other places to try? Thanks again Cmark. I'm wasn't at all familiar with the C4.4 so I didn't realize it was common rail. I just know they were both close in size and the C4.4 was a practically new engine with very low hours so I had to at least consider it.