Hey folks, Not exactly a machine but I scored this old walker turner bench drill press in a garage sale. Wondering if any of you guys might know more about it? Do I restore it or keep the rat rod look? Everything works on it, just need a chuck key. Thanks! Dirty Frenchy
Look it up on owwm.com, or whatever the site has changed to, its been a while since I've been over there... Ot just google old woodworking machines...
Nice score. I would clean it up some and use it as it was intended for. I like old tools.
It looks great. Its to dangerous to keep around. Better sell it to me.
Don't change a thing. Stick it on a pallet and ship it to Moose Lake, MN! I'm thinking 1920's just a guess though. Reminds me of some stuff pop (my grandpa) had from that era.
I'll look again on vintage machinery tomorrow, it's the owwm mothership. It's a pita on my phone. It appears you have a "franken press". An early 30's model thats been reworked to it's current state. Can you find a model # somewhere on it? Ed
I like the extra long "modified" arm on it. Everybody likes a little extra downpressure. Uncle used to have a old flat belt drive drill press with power down feed, you wanted to watch out when it took off on a hole.
We've got one like that in our Joplin shop. I'll snap a pic next time I'm there. It'll get ya if you turn your back on it!
Neat! I likes it!
Did some digging around on Owwm.com (neat website), seen a lot of W&T drill press. Looks like it could be a 700/900 radial arm series but so far the ones I've seen don't have that curved cast iron body, only a piece round stock for a vertical support. Haven't seen a serial number on it...Will keep digging!
Found it, a D-570. Late 30's http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=17557 Ed
That's a cool little guy! My dad (RIP) loved antique woodworking machinery, he restored and then used them daily for his custom furniture business. He had a big floor model drill press at one point that looked like that, it was 7+ feet tall, flat belt drive, pretty intimidating to run when I was 12 years old! I inherited all his tools, keeping some, need to find homes for others. My favorite is a 32" 1905 Crescent bandsaw that we restored together in the 90's. He started to part out worn or broken old machines for the tags and cool handles, square head bolts etc, we were going to combine our skills and make art pieces, but cancer got in the way of that and many other dreams... Here is a piece dad made as an example. Heavy Duty art!
Thanks Bumpsteer! Now I just gotta scrounge eBay to get my looking as good as that one..