Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 305CCR Small Oil Leak

Extra Fubar ยท 2018-05-07 18:57

Hello, I am the newly owner of a 2008 Cat 305CCR and last weekend I put about 10 hours on the machine (to move big rocks around, 1-2 tons each). The machine performed wonderfully overall, it is very very powerful for its size. I notice a small oil leak - see attached picture. I guess I lost about 2 oz of oil in about 10 hours. Should I fix it and if so, should I replace all couplers? Or should I run the thing for the time being as I have lots of work to do this summer. Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1heymccall2018-05-07 19:54

    There are o-rings to seal all 3 legs of that hydraulic tee assembly. They are ORFS style o-rings.

  2. #292U 34062018-05-07 20:32

    Yep just o-rings in there. Probably cost you less than $1.50 and 10 minutes of your time to fix.

  3. #3Extra Fubar2018-05-07 21:36

    Thanks guys for your quick answers, I'll look into getting new o-rings for everything. No harm in running the machine right now and losing some oil?

  4. #492U 34062018-05-07 21:49

    Worst case scenario the leak gets worse. Just make sure you put all implements on the ground and cycle the controls with the engine off, key on and hydraulic lockout (the flip down armrest) disengaged (down) before removing the hoses. Also can't recall if the hydraulic tank is pressurized or not on that model so you may need to vent the tank as well. If those lines are hooked directly to the hydraulic tank, be aware it could get messy.

  5. #5Nige2018-05-08 12:56

    First question. Did you try putting a wrench on the leg of the fitting that is leaking and see whether or not it will tighten just a hair..? Actually you really need a 2nd wrench on the centre of the T-fitting where the letter "P" is to hold it while you pull the other wrench. If the leak is as small as you say then there is half a chance you might be able to stop it just by tightening. If that does not work what have you lost - nothing.

  6. #6Extra Fubar2018-05-08 13:24

    Yep, I've tried to tighten it - nothing moved, looks like they are already at their max.

  7. #7Nige2018-05-08 14:11

    Take a photo from a bit further away to give some context as to where the fitting is located on the machine. Also a S/N would be good. I can probably find Cat Part Numbers for all the O-Rings on that tee. They are not all three the same IIRC. There may be $15 in the three of them.

  8. #8Extra Fubar2018-05-08 14:57

    Hi Nige, It's on the left side of the boom, 2 feet above the bucket. I did find the parts in my parts manual. 92U was right, about 1.5-1.7$ per o-rings. Looks like I'll put that to my "to purchase list" before I pay a visit to the Cat dealer here. Thanks!