Hi, Might be a simple thing, but does anyone know how to remove the cover plate on the final drive (planetary side) on a cat 307 (2WM), ‘96? “Normally” there’s a snap ring in a groove around the plate. There’s a ring on this one as well, but seems to be a solid ring.. not sure how to snap it out. Thanks for all suggestions.
Too many options to take a stab in the dark. Serial Number please.....
Hi Nige, thanks for replying. Sn: 2WM01099
Sorry, I should have asked before. Is the machine single-speed or two-speed travel..?
I think it’s a single speed travel.. (as you might have guessed, I’m quite a rookie)
Picture of the machine and the tag
Try this for single speed and see how you get on..........
Thank you very much, Nige! That is just what I need. Really appreciate you quick and helpful replies
The procedure for a 2-speed machine is slightly different. If you get into your unit and find it's not exactly like the process, post back and I'll upload the procedure for disassembling a 2-speed final drive. The problem is that even the data on file for your machine does not clearly state whether it is single-speed or two-speed.
Thanks for that, Nige. This will get me started. I was just going to change oil on the final drive, but no oil came out. Just some sticky stuff. Might be some dirt mixed with the oil, but there wasn’t any particles. Have tried to flush it without any proper result. We’re only able to fill it up with ca 1/3 of supposed amount of oil, so want to open it to clean it and check for any damage.
Sometime those snap rings seem to move around making it difficult finding where they meet. Using a small screw driver to slide around the grove you will with a little patience find the end of the ring. If the end isn't near a drain hole then drill a 3mm hole into the grove from the outside at the meeting point. Now put some weight on the plate and hammer in a fine drift into the 3mm hole and the ring should pop out. By the looks they are Hi- Dash/ Nabtesco drives and gear parts can be like finding rocking horse poo
Thanks for the reply, Tones. I tried for quite some time to figure out where the ends met. Brushed it down, cleaned it up, used the screwdriver sliding trick, but without any luck Made me wonder if it was a solid ring. I see from the file Nige sent that they call it a "wire ring", so might actually be a solid one..? I´ll have another good look tomorrow and keep your trick in mind. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!
Definitely a wire ring made of spring steel. Enjoy. A word of caution, in the inside of the plate in the centre there in is a steel button. On assembly place the drive over the plate and lower it NOT the other way round. That dam button drops out into the gears unbeknown to you until it's to late.
Thanks for the tip, Tones! Does that mean that it´s not a good idea to open it up while the drive is still on the machine?
Opening is not the issue, the problem is retaining that dam button on assembly. A dab of weld may help. It's a big bugger when you spend alot of dollars then in less than 20 seconds later you have to spend the same again.
That´s very nice to know. Appreciate the help The more I know before starting, the better!
Any updates