Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator boom modification

firetransport · 2019-04-07 16:57

I recently heard that this modification to the boom is popular in the pacific northwest as it greatly improves lifting strength and height, however it makes a guy wonder why it doesn't come from the factory that way if it makes a big difference in performance?

Replies12
  1. #1Ronsii2019-04-07 17:04

    Depends on the machine.... but I'm thinking that one won't dig as deep now....

  2. #2Wytruckwrench2019-04-07 18:59

    I can see on a log loader it would be handy.

  3. #3Bls repair2019-04-07 19:26

    I agree with Ronsii. They are designed to dig . With the design change it is a lot weaker digging leading to breakage.

  4. #4Nige2019-04-08 05:02

    Increased lifting height I can agree with, but strength..? How can moving the boom cylinder rod end pin mounting from a casting in the centre of a box structure to a fabricated bracket on the outside of the same structure make it stronger..? That I don't get. And as others have said it will severely limit the machine's digging depth capability.

  5. #5JPV2019-04-08 07:23

    That is for logging to make a machine with a bent excavator boom (road builder) lift more like a shovel that has a straight shovel boom. At least that's where I have seen it. Some guys put quick change grapples or processor heads on them as well as the bucket, makes for a very versatile machine.

  6. #6DMiller2019-04-08 08:04

    Can see that as a caution when digging hard as well Moved from rigidity of central column to pulling on side of column Catch sometime abruptly a time or two too many and shear that away

  7. #7John C.2019-04-08 10:30

    The modification is trying to turn the machine into a swiss army knife. They are used extensively on road builders and clearing machines. A lot of times there will also be an eighteen inch spacer under the cab to increase visibility to the top of high loads. These machines can load logging trucks, frameless dumps and high cube refuse trailers. I've looked at a lot of broken booms in my time in the field. I've never seen one of these with any kind of crack or deformation caused by use. I've seen a couple that have hit bridges while being hauled on low boys. Basically when this is added, the primary use is in lifting and the secondary use is digging.

  8. #8Bls repair2019-04-08 16:59

    I would guess warranty is out the window.

  9. #9firetransport2019-04-08 20:37

    That's just what I have heard, that's why I posted it on here to get other opinions and thoughts. I do however know that the fab shop that made that modification stays very busy and has lots of repeat business, so I would think that there's some truth.

  10. #10John C.2019-04-08 20:37

    Usually the people that modify them handle any problems within a reasonable amount of time. I just haven't seen any problems with them to worry about.

  11. #11Jeckyl19202019-04-09 00:25

    Now, if you have a way to quickly swap between the pin locations, that would be cool. Like a cheap articulated boom? I'm holding out for an articulated boom with a E-stick! >.<

  12. #12Inline63592019-04-09 00:35

    Sure looks like you could still swap pin locations easily.