Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 308B SR Mini 8 ton Excavator

Dunclare · 2021-11-29 17:19

Hi All I have just purchased a CAT 308B SR. I do have the Service Manual but not the Operator and Maintenance manual. I would like to do a full service but not sure on the oil in the turntable gearbox and I don't know what year it is. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Replies28
  1. #1Gary Layton2021-11-29 22:25

    These guys are gonna need at least a SN. And I bet pictures could help, too.

  2. #2Dunclare2021-11-30 02:12

    Thanks Gary The S/N is 3YS01188 it's a Japanese import and I can't seem to upload photos.

  3. #3Dunclare2021-11-30 02:39
  4. #4Nige2021-11-30 09:13

    Unless you can read Japanese you're going to be out of luck for an O&M Manual. Because your machine was never designed to be sold outside Japan it is only available in Japanese.

  5. #5Nige2021-11-30 09:15

    If you are referring to the swing drive box for your climate conditions it is an SAE50 oil meeting Cat TO-4 specification, or Cat TDTO 50 oil if you buy it from the Cat dealer.

  6. #6Dunclare2021-11-30 14:47

    Thanks all

  7. #7Dunclare2021-12-16 04:51

    I have downloaded the Japanese manual I intend to translate it to English. Is there a place to upload manuals on this site as I have a 323B skid steer and a Case 580C Manuals. I'm happy to share the manual. Cheers Dunclare

  8. #8ERich308B2024-07-19 21:33

    Hello All, I am a new member, having recently purchased a Cat 308B-SR, a mid-life gray-market machine made for the Japanese market and poorly supported in the US. I have also bought the 308B Parts Manual and the 308C Parts and Maintenance and Operations manuals. Although the C manuals are helpful, there are major mechanical differences between the B and the C, in addition to the language barrier. For example, silly as this may sound, Where are the Coolant Drain and Swing Drain points on a B? They are not where I would expect to find them. Thanks Erich

  9. #9Nige2024-07-20 04:16

    What’s the Serial Number of your machine.?

  10. #10ERich308B2024-07-20 10:26

    3YS00218

  11. #11Nige2024-07-20 10:37

    So the applicable O&M is different to the machine mentioned above because it is a different Serial Number range (3YS1-829 as opposed to 3YS00830-Up). You need XJBU2395.

  12. #12Nige2024-07-20 10:38

    From your Parts Manual what are the Group Numbers for the Swing Drive box and the radiator assembly.?

  13. #13ERich308B2024-07-20 10:45

    Thank you for your help. I will not be able to reply for several hours; possibly not until tomorrow. Off to work,

  14. #14ERich308B2024-07-21 17:59

    Coolant Drain found, inside center of Radiator bottom, not on right or left corner (as I had guessed). Swing Drive Drain location still a mystery. Best guess is that it is not on the bottom of the Swing Drive, but remotely located via a pipe or hose. Swing Drive Group Number may be: 123-1473, however, my Parts Manual states: 3YS1- while my S/N is 3YS00218. Suggestions invited. Erich

  15. #15Nige2024-07-21 18:09

    3YS1- indicates from first built (3YS00001 in other words) so your manual is fine. I’ll do a bit of digging but have you looked underneath the machine for a hole in the main frame in the area of the swing drive with a drain plug hiding in it.?

  16. #16ERich308B2024-07-21 19:43

    Many thanks for continuing my education. That explains why Cat Pubs does not show an earlier version Parts Manual for the B. My 308C O&M manual shows just such a hole. Unfortunately, no such hole in my B. Erich

  17. #17Dunclare2024-07-22 01:02

    The swing drain is on the front under the boom

  18. #18Nige2024-07-22 03:00

    Apparently there are apps that will translate Japanese to English working from a photo. I have no experience of them but I wonder if this might work for you if you purchased a Copy of XJBU2395.?

  19. #19ERich308B2024-07-22 03:21

    Hello Dunclare, Thanks for your info. Can you be a little more specific. Erich

  20. #20Nige2024-07-22 06:01

    The 123-1473 Group contains a 148-1774 Swing Drive. The attached is an illustration of the drain setup on a 307B that uses the exact same 148-1774 swing drive unit. Even if for some reason the drain tube assembly on your machine has been removed it should still give you an idea where the drain plug is located (arrowed) in the body of the 148-1774 swing drive.

  21. #21Dunclare2024-07-24 15:56

    Hi Erich If you lare ooking at the main ram on the left hand side on the floor base you will see a block of steel that have a greas nipple and a 1/4" plug. That plug is the drain.

  22. #22Dunclare2024-07-24 16:04

    Thanks Nige Google translate works OK. I do have a operators manual in Japanese. Where is the XJBU2395 for sale?

  23. #23Nige2024-07-24 16:30

    XJBU2395 is ony for machines with S/N from first built up to 3YS00829 which is what @ERich308B has. For 3YS00830-Up you need XJBU2435. Here is a LINK to the Cat Publications web site. Just put XJBU2435 in the box and click Search.

  24. #24ERich308B2024-07-31 15:13

    Many Thanks Dunclare, I would never have found the drain plug without your help. However, mystery? When I remove the plug, nothing drains out. Fortunately, the old fluid looks good, and I will be using my 308 for a couple hundred hours. Erich

  25. #25Nige2024-07-31 16:48

    Poke a length of fairly stiff wire up through the plug hole and see what happens.?

  26. #26ERich308B2024-07-31 16:59

    That is my plan, when next I get a time break. Fortunately, since the old fluid looks good and I need limited use, I believe this can wait. Sincerely appreciate your help. Erich

  27. #27louisianapipeliner199031@2026-04-22 08:13

    I have a 308b sr excavator and I'm can get it to swing or or lift up or down but bucket will curl and 3rd arm will curl or push out and blade will lift up or down and will track

  28. #28Deimos2026-04-26 10:12

    Since your excavator has pilot-operated joystick controls, there are two possible causes. The joysticks are faulty, or the boom and swing valves are faulty.