Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 309

Reuben Frazier · 2021-08-19 14:42

Anyone running a CAT 309 and have any feedback on them? I’d like to buy one a little larger but I need something small enough I can transport behind a 5500 and It will be mostly used for grubbing small trees around retention ponds so this models weight is about as heavy as I think I can get by with and it needs rubber pads for running on concrete so my options are somewhat limited. I’ve got larger excavators but thr simply to big for these pond jobs and I’m spending more time and money fixing damaged areas than thr worth. Feedback?

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2021-08-19 15:00

    I put bolt on rubber pads on everything here up to and including my Cat 328DLCR machine. As for ground damage, ground pressure is more important than overall weight. Wider shoes and/ or longer tracks= lower ground pressure.

  2. #2NepeanGC2021-08-19 16:13

    309 is a nice machine, very nice cab. I love our 9ton machine - super versatile. Not much physically bigger than a 5ton, but can get a lot of work done in a day. That said, if it's only the ground damage you're concerned about, and you've got other machines already, have you considered ground protection mats or bolt on/clip on rubber pads?

  3. #3Reuben Frazier2021-08-19 18:06

    My problem is damage to the curbs, concrete, asphalt and them sinking due to the weight as well as their overall size. We’ve been using mats, fire hoses and everything in between but I’m really wanting to find a better suited machine that doesn’t require so much work to get the job done, finished and walk away from. Retention ponds inside a fenced area with little room to work is also an issue so bigger machines are constantly making life difficult. I’ve been mostly using a 320 and it’s just a little to big for these in particular jobs and I’ve got about 400 of them to go so it’s time for a change to make life easier.

  4. #4CM19952021-08-19 19:24

    Rented a 308 Next Gen which is the same size as a 309 without the addition hydros I think. The 308 was a very nice midi. The cab was roomy and it had all the Next Gen features like the iPad quality screen in the cab. This one had metal tracks with bolt on rubber tracks. If I needed this size machine I would definitively look at one. 308 parked next to our new to us 305. Screen

  5. #5Reuben Frazier2021-08-23 01:48

    Thanks for the replies guys,, I’m now on the search for a machine and it appears its going to be an order situation and hurry up and wait which I’m not that good at..

  6. #6Rihpper2021-08-27 00:11

    I’m also looking at getting a 309 and yeah, nobody has one. Another difference between the 308 and the 309, my dealer said the 309 has the longer and wider Undercariage off the 310, as well as the dual blade lift cylinders. Also the angle blade is not available on the 309.