Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 311 Door

dieseldog5.9 ยท 2018-04-20 12:55

So I bought a 311 missing the cab door, apparently these are difficult to find, called Cat, not available new, called numerous bone yards, with no luck. Short of building a door, or Buying a whole cab for 8 grand, just to get the door seam to be out of options. Anyone know where to buy a door, new used or repairable?

Replies12
  1. #1John C.2018-04-20 19:29

    Where can you find a cab for 8 grand?

  2. #2Pixie2018-04-20 19:50

    You don't say what year. My 1996 Cat 307 came with a crushed door. It was impossible to find. No one seemed to know if other doors would fit but I got a guy to measure and took a chance on a used door from a 320. Fits my little 307 just fine after I moved the latch-back loop.

  3. #3Cmark2018-04-20 19:57

    How about this?

  4. #4dieseldog5.92018-04-20 21:28

    5PK00349 Not sure what year, that's a good lead I will call in the morning.

  5. #5Cmark2018-04-21 03:06

    You may have a grey market machine there. Be very sure it's the right door before committing yourself.

  6. #6Pixie2018-04-21 06:35

    Mine is a grey market machine . I'm pretty sure that if they look the same; they are the same. Why would they make a bunch of different size doors ? I paid $1500 delivered for the door about 4 years ago. Came from a breaker in Syracuse.

  7. #7Cmark2018-04-21 11:37

    "Pretty sure" isn't as good as "Certain" when you're dropping a wad of cash on something non returnable. If they're making a run of 5000 cabs in Japan, they may convert the inches to metric and then round the dimensions to the nearest MM meaning that, for example, the hinges don't quite line up. The problem is that (my) SIS doesn't recognise the 5PK prefix so I don't have any means of getting a part number for the door. If the OP has a 5PK parts book and it says the door is a 4I6973 then he's OK. If he doesn't and we're going off the nearest equivalent serial number then there's no guarantee that it's the right part.

  8. #8John C.2018-04-21 15:25

    Gray market cabs are different than ones made for US machines.

  9. #9dieseldog5.92018-04-23 12:21

    This company does not have a door, they are a broker who will look for a door, so I guess they will look around, I called all the salvage places I could think of with no luck so not I can't imagine he will fair any better.

  10. #10heymccall2018-04-24 01:16

    If it's the 4i6973, here's what it fits

  11. #11Nige2018-04-24 14:53

    5PK-prefix machines were manufactured in Japan. According to Service Mag SEPD1884 the US-built equivalent for a 5PK machine with Serial Number less than 1000 (as in this case) would be a US-built 311 in the Serial Number range 9LJ0001-9LJ0261. However even then there is a caveat that the English literature is for "similar machine models manufactured for other markets and should be used for reference only". Parts Book reference is XEBP7200. So the cab door may be the same, it may not ....... For a 5PK machine with S/N higher than 1000 the US-built equivalent is 9LJ0262 & Up.

  12. #12Pixie2018-04-24 17:53

    So dieseldog5.9 left my house with a mangled door. Nice guy. Hope he will post picures of the repaired door. Pictures of mushed door and replacement.