Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 311 Mega Ripper Tooth!!

Eddiebackblade ยท 2009-09-13 05:33

Only Joking This is one of my more unusual jobs, they are a couple of ships anchors being used as a garden feature. They are incredibly heavy and the 311 amazed me by picking them up at very close range and placing them in position. They are in a garden at the rear of a house, and the last access point is being removed tomorrow. Looks like they will be there for a long time!

Replies9
  1. #1amtronic2009-09-13 14:31

    I would have positioned them 180 deg. to each other and hung a swing from them!

  2. #2bigblueox2009-09-13 14:46

    i second that!:drinkup

  3. #3Eddiebackblade2009-09-13 15:05

    I have still got to fit the straight bars through the holes at the top, however they are some 14ft long and 8" in diameter and considerable weight. When fitted however they will provide the support for a swing or hammock! I should really give huge praise to the 311 as it has really suprised me with it's performance and ease of use. Having usually hired 312c and been very happy with them, I will certainly go for the 311 on any tight sites with complete confidence. As to owning one, I'd have to get a few plates off and see how easy it would be to access components as virtually everything is sealed in tightly.

  4. #4amunderdog2009-09-13 22:45

    If orientated correctly; it looks like they could work as a Sun Dial.

  5. #5willie592009-09-13 23:00

    Folks, I'm certainly no mariner. I have no claim to say what all type of ship anchors look like. But, that looks more like the anchor that was designed by Allan Beckett and used to anchor the Mulberry Harbours at Normandy in WWII. Not saying those are WWII/harbour anchors...but that's what they look like to me.

  6. #6Eddiebackblade2009-09-14 05:45

    Well ATCOEQUIP funny you should mention it, but I too know nothing of Anchors or Ships but thought they somehow looked odd. However since you mention it they have come from a local dealer who buys in a lot of ex military surplus. He was cutting up a lot of the huge amphibious bridge carrying units last year and these appeared around the same time, so there may be some connection there. Whatever you certainly won't see many in back gardens!

  7. #7willie592009-09-14 07:13

    Well, I think you've answered my question, makes sense. It was a design similar to that which Englishman Allan Beckett made to secure the Mulberry Harbours after the invasion at Normandy, which were floating bridges. The shackle at the front is for the cable that goes to the bridge pontoon. The shackle at the rear is for a tug to pull the anchor out from the bridge and deploy. Once the anchor reaches bottom, they pull the bridge line, the anchor burrows into the sea bed like a plow until it reaches firm material. BTW, nice job with the Cat.

  8. #8nzpatch2009-09-15 03:11

    The 311cu is a very good digger for all round work indeed. dont worry about the tightly packed workings of it as they don't give mutch trouble at all, or do the 312, so buy ahead and injoy the small bum and power to do jobs in all places. ive had my 311cu for 3and a half years with no worrys at all.

  9. #9Dozerboy2009-09-15 15:38

    those are cool