Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 312 Rubber tracks

DD Cincy ยท 2021-02-03 08:24

I have a Cat 312. Trying to decide on whether or not to put a set of rubber tracks on it, or get the clip on track pads. It is going to be used on a concrete floor at my recycling facility. Not a whole lot of movement involved. Ive used the pads before in other areas. But I dont want to rule out a set of complete rubbers. Anybody have any insight on either or both? Much appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2021-02-03 08:40

    IIRC a member here replaced the steel track shoes on his 315 (I think) with rubber pads. That sounds like a possible solution for you. Let me see if I can find the thread.

  2. #2DD Cincy2021-02-03 08:55

    Im aware of the replacement pads. Just wondering if its worth it to put full rubber tracks on it. Dont know how well they hold up, longevity kind of thing.

  3. #3Nige2021-02-03 08:58

    I know who it was, and it was quite a while ago. If you like I can message him and have him drop by and give a feedback on how the plastic shoes performed..? TBH in your particular situation I would've thought staying with steel track chains would be a better option wear-wise. All that's needed is to have a non-steel interface between the concrete and the machine undercarriage.

  4. #4jhonygee2021-02-03 09:19

    my neighbor has a cat 315. He had a similar problem . I will talk to him and write to you about how he solved this situation.

  5. #5dieseldog5.92021-02-03 10:26

    We had rubber pads on a 307, they get to a point where they come apart and leave ruber blocks randomly. When I pull my 312 in the shop I put down 1inch oak planks that are cutoffs from the mill, and they are wicked rugged, and cheeper than a new set of track pads.

  6. #6lantraxco2021-02-03 11:53

    I would never use one piece rubber tracks where I didn't have to for good reason. You're much better off staying with the steel tracks, and use as you say clip ons or poly bonded shoes. Rubber band tracks will get cut up, weather, rot, and fail, and unless things have changed on this side of the blue pond nobody repairs them, it's throwaway time. Poly will last longer than rubber, but may have slightly less traction at times. There are many brands now but these guys I think are the best: https://www.blsent.com/

  7. #7heymccall2021-02-03 17:10

    I've got rubber bolt on pads on my 314CLCR, 314DLCR, both my 314ELCR, and, all 3 of my 328DLCR. We run them on every surface imaginable. Rip rap, gravel, clay, hot asphalt, broken concrete, clay, etc... My 314CLCR pads are at 8500 hours, and on their second chain set. They are from Rio Track and Rubber. They have chew marks, but no delamination. My 314DLCR has pads from MWE, and they made it to another chain set, but, they chunked out severely, and will be gone before 8k hours. Both my 314ELCR have OEM cat rubber bolt on pads. I have major delamination issues with them, and the rubber, when new, was half as thick. They will be gone before the chains wear out. My 328DLCR have Rio 800mm bolt-ons on their 900mm grousers. They seem to be holding up rather well, but none have more than 4k hours. I also have clip-on MWE 800mm pads on my 320DLRR. They wear well, but in 4 years or so, I've lost at least 13 due to clip failure. Bolt-ons are the way for me to go, here, BUT, you'll have to plasma or burn 4 holes in every triple grouser. My PC128UU-2 and PC228 have road liners, in place of triple grousers, and, they all delaminate early, like before a 1/4 worn. They'll get triple grouser with bolt ons, someday. As an aside, on my 314DLCR, it was rather cheap overall to swap the standard triple grousers for predrilled triple grousers, then add the bolt on pads.

  8. #8heymccall2021-02-03 17:14

    But, don't even get me started on the semi-continuous bolt on crap that came on my 314CLCR. Garbage by 1200 hours.

  9. #9lantraxco2021-02-03 17:18

    Cool... I would think you could punch the holes in, the factory holes are punched. Or use a mag drill and carbide rotabroach.

  10. #10heymccall2021-02-03 17:51

    After trying to drill them, I'm pretty sure they are punched before they are hardened. Besides, you'd have to unbolt them to get them near a punch.

  11. #11lantraxco2021-02-03 18:04

    Three railers typically aren't all that hard, maybe 40RC I think... it kinda depends on the hole spacing too, the portable hydraulic punches only have about 2-1/2" of throat opening. Carbide rotabroach with coolant should be easy though. YMMV