Hi, I've got about 100 hrs on a 315 I bought mainly doing landscaping and clearing. I am having some play on the turntable with some rocking that is worrying me. Don't want to have to replace the slew bearing after just 100 hrs. The machine has 8900 hrs on it. My question is how do I check the bearing and how much play should be there? Thanks
Vertical Movement - New 1.5mm, service limit 3.0mm Circular Movement - New 4.0mm, service limit 12.0mm.
I've never worried about the circular movement because the vertical movement is usually a go or no go test. For the vertical movement open the bucket full and stretch the stick all the way and and set on the ground. Push down hard enough to pick the front of the machine off the ground at least six inches. Set up a dial indicator between the carbody and the bottom of the outside ring on the slewing bearing. Zero out the dial indicator and note the scale reading on the indicator. Carefully pick up the boom until the bucket is off the ground at least six inches and read your dial indicator. I've not seen a C series Cat excavator yet that needed a slewing bearing. Can you describe the play you are feeling?
It feels like a rocking motion and is more pronounced when you are working farther out or with more weight. Looking at the join it seems to be more of a horizontal motion than a vertical one. It feels like you can't get the machine stable, even on level ground.
Good day dwalsh27 Suggest you measure the movement with a DTI, most swing ring failures are preceded by the swing transmission bearing break up If you would like some spec info drop a line to [email protected] Kind regards Uffex
Most of the time the rocking motion is in the undercarriage. Swing the boom to the front of the machine and bounce it up and down a little and watch the front idlers at the same time. If you see the idlers move during the bouncing or you see the tracks tighten and loosen a touch, that is most likely your problem.
Then do the same thing over the sprocket end and see if it does the same thing to confirm if it's the problem