Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320 excavator with cummins engine

312King · 2010-05-01 18:48

thought this was kinda interesting YouTube - Cat 320 With Cummins 6BT Engine

Replies19
  1. #1dynahoescott2010-05-02 10:09

    engine swaps Yes, that was interesting but the wildest swap I ever saw was a 3-53 detroit in a cse 850 c track loader.:beatsme

  2. #2ddigger2010-05-02 10:51

    I know a guy who did that as well.

  3. #3Jam2010-05-02 11:01

    Hows it going....that is some amount of work! Are the air vents on the side panels to suit the cooling of the new engine? Any ideas why go to all this work are the mitz engines very expensive to repair?

  4. #4John C.2010-05-02 18:35

    I've heard that it is not easy to get the Mitsubishi engine at all. I would assume the Cummins might be cheap enough to make the swap over cost effective. Now though there are plenty of inexpensive excavators on the market. Why go to all the bother of the change.

  5. #5faurbina2010-05-04 23:25

    I'm the owner of this excavator. I swapped the 3066 engine (Mitsubishi) because I repaired it six times!! The engine was ok until the first time we repaired it (worked about 12.000 hours) but, after that, I started to lose money, time and patience... Wasting money in one Block (I put a new one U$11.000), two Cramshafts, Injectors, etc, etc.. I have others Cat equipments, and I never have had throubles with the Engines... I guess this case is because this is a japanese engine built by Mitsubishi..

  6. #6Jam2010-05-05 14:49

    Lovely job....was there much head scratching and machining to get it working?

  7. #7gasfield315c2010-05-06 21:41

    i think everything should have a cummins in it...when that 320's tracks and boom wear out and fall plum off, you could take the engine out and put it in another one and keep running it. A place i used to work at had a grove crane with a 6BT cummins in it, and the radiator had a hole in it the size of a baseball, i was driving it to another job one day and the engine got so hot it locked up, we let it cool off for about an hour, put some more water in it and it fired right back up, as far as i know its still working, and that has been 5 years ago

  8. #8cummins052010-05-06 23:16

    Thats a nice swap of a ppump 12valve non intercooled engine

  9. #9anthony04882018-03-16 22:17

    Hi, we are trying to do the same swap for the same reason, what are the good and bad things while swap is done and after in the long run? Thanks

  10. #10justin spangler2019-03-02 19:44

    Hey I would like to revive this old thread. Has anyone else done this .My 3066 took a dump the other day and I'm considering this swap .Was anyone able to find a flywheel that bolted right up or did you have to Fab one?

  11. #11TVA2019-03-02 21:18

    I think you can keep your old flywheel, just adopt the flex plate to it, check out https://www.hayescouplings.com . Still gonna need to match bellhousing to pump drive flange.

  12. #12justin spangler2019-03-03 10:10

    I was able to find a bell housing to fit the cummins to fit my pump it's an SAE3. Nice Used Takeoff Cummins 5.9 B Series SAE #3 Flywheel Bell Housing 3959804 OEM https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163124282640 My concern is that my current flywheel is a 6 bolt with 2 allignment studs and the Cummins is an 8 bolt with 1 allignment stud. Has anyone else actually done this conversion? If so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

  13. #13TVA2019-03-03 10:13

    Does the Cummins have a flywheel? If it does - then think about how to adapt your pump shaft to it.

  14. #14justin spangler2019-03-03 10:21

    The cummins I'm getting doesn't have the flywheel. I thought about buying one of these and then figuring out how to adapt to mine. Flywheel New to fits Cummins 4B 4BT 4BTA 6B 6BT 6BTA SAE3 3973747, 130422X, C397 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132610612961 Current flywheel

  15. #15TVA2019-03-03 10:26

    And what coupling is on yours? There’s the chance it will fit right in. People even adapting keyed shafts, it’s doable.

  16. #16justin spangler2019-03-03 10:35

    That's my current cat engine flu wheel I don't have a pic of the Cummins but this is the flywheel that fits the Cummins . Flywheel New to fits Cummins 4B 4BT 4BTA 6B 6BT 6BTA SAE3 3973747, 130422X, C397 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132610612961

  17. #17TVA2019-03-03 10:35

    I am involved in the work on Italian made Ascom travel lift which gets new power pack. The Iveco engine and obsolete Brevini pump gets replaced with 6bt and Sauer Danfoss pump, reason being - it is a PITA to get parts for OEM! And owner can’t afford to have that machine down for more then a couple of days. Cummins and Sauer Danfoss parts readily available, longest lead time is overnight!

  18. #18kashif7862019-03-04 12:43

    hello everyone I'm kashif...my excavator 320b cat automatically monitor panel off now not working what will do

  19. #19Stanley P’articklesz2019-04-12 20:20

    So were you able to swap it cause I also want to do same with my 320bl with a Mitsubishi engine for a Cummins engine but been think of how the Cummins engine will adapt to my hydraulic pump More info on how you were able to do that https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132610612961