Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 320 Swing

ms0115 ยท 2020-05-05 09:32

CAT 320E CAT320EEWBK01547 When operating this machine and you stop it with the bucket and arm extended it will not hold its position. It starts to drift. There are no codes present. It shows swing brake sensor applied. What could cause this machine not to stay in this position?How can I test it?

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2020-05-05 10:01

    Swing brake is only a parking brake. It applies only after every function is not used for approximately seven seconds. Your machine may have a soft swing function built it. Someone should be along in a bit who can check your serial number for the build.

  2. #2heymccall2020-05-05 14:14

    To stop swinging, the oil is stove piped. After X amount of seconds, the actual brake applied (or with machine OFF). There is also a fine swing where crossover ports are activated where the stove piped oil can slowly bleed off. So, question one... With the machine off, does the swing STOP?

  3. #3ms01152020-05-05 16:17

    It was only checked when it was running. I have not been out to the machine yet. But I will check that and get back to you. If there is anything else I can check while out there, I would appreciate any test or procedures. This may take a day or two, but I just had rotor cuff surgery.

  4. #4Cmark2020-05-05 17:06

    See if you have switch 28C. If it's on, turn it off.

  5. #5ms01152020-05-06 07:58

    Cmark, told the operator to check the switch. He turnd it off and problem went away. Sorry for the simple question and thank all of you for the help.