Hello everybody! The story is like this, my father and I bought a Cat d3 with a 3204 engine. We rebuilt this engine, but we don't know how to set the ignition in this engine. Please tell me how it is done? Engine without turbine
Welcome..! By “ignition” I assume that you mean fuel injection timing.? Post the Serial Number of the tractor (not the engine) and I can look for the procedure from the service manual.
Sorry, there is no tractor serial number, only the engine number: 45712818
It is simple you pull the plug out by the starter insert a long 3/8 NC bolt and turn engine until bolt will thread into flywheel make sure the number 1 is on compression both valves closed. then you remove the plate on the side of the injection pump insert a 5/16 drill bit or timing tool turn pump until the tool drops into the notch then bolt it up
The engine number is more likely to be 45Z12818, and we need to know if it's a precombustion chamber engine or direct injection engine. There are two different fuel injection pumps. Direct injection has a smaller injection pump with the fuel supply line going in at the front of the injection pump via an o-ring type connector. If it's direct injection you will need a timing plate 5P0143. Tools | KD Parts - Quality parts - Sensible prices - Excellent service If it's precombustion chamber injection you will have a bigger injection pump with a plate containing 4 bolts behind the fuel filter. This injection pump needs a timing pin. You can make one from a 1/4" bolt, just cut the head off the bolt. You unbolt the 4-bolt plate and put the injection pump on number one injection point and insert the pin into the slot on the injection pump camshaft. With both types of pumps, the engine must be pinned on TDC of number one cylinder. You pin the flywheel through a hole in the flywheel housing on the front right-hand side of the engine with a 3/8" bolt. This flywheel bolt hole is accessed by removing a threaded plug in the flywheel housing. Make very sure the engine is on TDC of number one cylinder, it can be pinned on number 4 cylinder if you are not careful.
Don't you mean 45V12818.? I suspect with an engine number as low as 12818 it will likely be a pre-combustion chamber engine and the tractor could possibly be a 79U-prefix D3.
Yes, sorry Nige, I did mean to type 45V, I had a "seniors moment" there. Yes, I agree on your opinion of the age, type and models.
Yes, 45V1 to 45V17159 are pre-combustion chamber engines.