Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320C Turbo

HSV127 ยท 2014-10-25 06:55

How about this for a lucky break: I had the 320C running for about 10-15 minutes and it was running fine until I stopped for a minute and it throttled down as per usual then went to move again and had no power and a whole lot of black smoke being emitted from the exhaust. On further inspection found the turbo to be seized solid! So went about pulling said turbo to get rebuilt and when I had it out tried turning it again, it was very tight but I managed to move it and rust started falling out from behind the heat shield on the exhaust side, so I kept working it back and fourth till all the rust was gone and the turbo was spinning sweet as a nut, chucked it back in and was back in action! haha. Definitely didn't think I'd be going again in a couple of hours when I first saw the seized turbo!

Replies2
  1. #1lantraxco2014-10-25 14:24

    Must have been sitting for a while?

  2. #2HSV1272014-10-25 14:28

    Not long this time but yes it's a farm digger and it does tend to sit for long periods.