Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 320CL fuel system

southernman13 ยท 2016-09-05 16:25

PAB 00730. 320CL. There's a manual fuel lift pump on the side of the engine. It has what looks like a fitting that goes into the side of it that could have a screen in it. I think it's a 1 1/8 socket to get it off. Like I said its on the side of engine and closer to the bottom. There's a lift pump or primer pump on top of the engine as well but that's different. I didn't have the correct socket to get it off today. I wasntold there are screens behind or in some of the banjo fittings on this fuel system. I haven't found any yet but I wasn't able to remove the one in question like I said. Just curious if there are any other known screens or filters other than the two main fuel filters. Thanks if any one knows.

Replies21
  1. #1nowing752016-09-05 17:26
  2. #2lantraxco2016-09-05 17:30

    If there's a screen, it will a tiny one in the center of that hollow bolt number 4, believe it or not. Sometimes they suck air around the hand primer piston also.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2016-09-05 17:33

    Remove #4 and have a look.. no filter anywhere else in the supply pump

  4. #4southernman132016-09-05 17:35

    Ok thanks. What is item 12? It's Not sucking air but the fuel in the tank doesn't look real good I just wanted to clean the entire system. Thanks again. I may drain the tank and try to flush it out as well. I would think there's a screen of some type on the pick up in the tank IDK

  5. #5thepumpguysc2016-09-05 17:43

    #12 is the actual piston that pumps the fuel. #9 is the return spring

  6. #6southernman132016-09-05 17:48

    Tenfo I'll pull it out and have a look tomorrow. Thanks

  7. #7thepumpguysc2016-09-05 17:54

    IF you find its full of crud.. the filter unscrews.. pull it out, blow it off and reinstall..

  8. #8southernman132016-09-05 18:04

    Tenfo thanks man I appreciate it!!

  9. #9nowing752016-09-05 20:28

    So or forgot to post the description

  10. #10southernman132016-09-05 23:01

    Thanks again !!

  11. #11southernman132016-09-06 10:05

    Got it out and it was pretty nasty. I'm sure I'll flow better now. Anyone know the napa number for a serpentine belt for this unit. The one on it is worn slap out. I can turn everything except the engine by hand and it's real thin

  12. #12Don Wheeler2022-12-18 19:42

    Can I ask you a question about the 320cl

  13. #13Don Wheeler2022-12-18 19:43

    Can I ask you a question about the 320 CL

  14. #14heymccall2022-12-18 19:45

    Shirley, you can ask

  15. #15southernman132022-12-18 20:04

    Absolutely

  16. #16Don Wheeler2022-12-18 20:21

    So it starts and runs fine but then loses power and either almost dies or does, as long as you just sit it will run all day. If you try to track or use it it will run fine for a bit and then start starving for fuel It seems. Blew air in line to tank seems to be clear. Changed all filters and same thing.

  17. #17JPV2022-12-18 20:33

    It is most likely the screen in that banjo fitting on the inlet of the lift pump that these guys are talking about. It is kind of a reach to get it out and it isn't talked about in the manual.

  18. #18Don Wheeler2022-12-18 20:40

    I am gonna look again tomorrow. I could have sworn that the inlet was not a banjo fitting but I will damn sure look again. Do thos lift pumps go bad?

  19. #19Nige2022-12-18 22:16

    Unless someone has been in there changing things from the original the only thing that appears as though it will fit on Bolt #4 is a banjo fitting.

  20. #20heymccall2022-12-18 23:00

    Post #4 here, HeavyEquipmentForums Shows same thing.

  21. #21JPV2022-12-19 00:30

    You have to lay on your belly and reach underneath. The first thing to check is to pull the line off at the lift pump and make sure you have full flow of fuel. If you do pull the banjo bolt and clean the screen. Sometimes the top of the fuel water separator gets full of crud and needs to be pulled apart and cleaned out too.