Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 325B cylinder size question

EdParker ยท 2016-06-12 22:16

I have been asked by a potential customer to work on their Cat 325B. I have never worked on this particular excavator. First of several questions I am likely to have. Can anyone tell me the socket size needed to remove the nut from the boom cylinder?

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2016-06-13 04:33

    You mean boom cylinder piston retaining nut, correct..? Is this for disassembly of the cylinder in a shop to replace the seals..? To remove the cylinder nut in the field is going to be a pretty tough job unless you have some really heavy duty tooling.

  2. #2EdParker2016-06-13 12:08

    Yes, the nut size for disassembling for reseal. Decades of experience doing this, just never on this machine and want to know if I have the needed socket. Thank you.

  3. #3Nige2016-06-13 12:22

    The hydraulics on these machines are metric so the nut will be either for an M80 or M90 x 2mm pitch thread, so socket will be 115mm or 130mm. My experience of cylinder benches is that generally they have a fully adjustable split collar that can fit any size of nut. I take it your cylinder bench doesn't work like that..?