looking for an engine barring socket for a cat 215 with a 3304 engine 95z00480. I have a part number from the manual but I can't seem to find on online. 5p7307 is the kit, with 5p7305 socket , and 5p7306 housing. Maybe these part numbers have been replaced. Is there tool for a different engine that will work on the 3304? Is this the only way to turn the engine by hand or could I use a strap wrench around the crank pulley?
You can turn the engine over however you want. A lot depends on access and how much arm strength you have as to what will work for you. What are you needing to bar the engine over for?
I need tool for reinstallation of the injection pump
The baring tool would be the best option since you need to roll the engine slowly. I have used a long handle ratchet and socket on the crank pulley bolt but you have to be careful not to over torque it.
I had to do a timing set (injection pump repair) on a 3304 in a D5H and the only access I had was through the starter hole. The turning tool was an old starter that I had chopped and welded on the drive end housing. Much cheaper than 600 bucks for the Cat tooling.
Some very knowledgeable members say you don't need the tool. Read this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums
Good idea, old starter, if I could only find one
if you can, find an equipment wrecker and buy an old starter core or better yet, find a starter off a burnt engine- they are usually not usable for a core but will maybe work to cut and modify for a barring tool
Just be sure the starter your get has the same number of teeth on the gear as the one on your motor. Actually if you have different machines to need to turn over you can make the tool so you can swap gears to fit the one you are working on and only build the tool once!
The fan hub might have some bigger holes casted in it. I think they are 1" I used a short piece of round stock and a bar.
Setting one up like this with a 3/4 drive female end works very good. Power to sometimes work a stuck engine loose by going back and forth after soaking also.