Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 345BL with 1 grouser pads

cat 325ccr ยท 2010-11-01 19:06

YouTube - CAT 345BL excavator moving a mat YouTube - Caterpillar 345BL excavator moving container

Replies9
  1. #1QuickTrax2010-11-01 20:36

    That is rare to see single grouser pads on an excavator.

  2. #2Buckethead2010-11-01 20:45

    You see them a lot on gas pipeline jobs.

  3. #3sultan2010-11-01 22:50

    I'm a bit curious - what is the purpose behind putting single grousers on an excavator? They'd rip up the ground a lot more than doubles or triples, and you generally don't need the traction and bite of a dozer undercarriage on an excavator.

  4. #4WoodBoy2010-11-01 22:56

    Maybe the soil is soft in areas or semi steep inclines and he doesnt have the attachment of a bucket to help pull him up? :beatsme

  5. #5cat 325ccr2010-11-02 07:54

    heres a pic

  6. #6Buckethead2010-11-02 18:18

    It does look kind of unusual in an urban scene like that. But for situations like a long pipeline that goes across varied terrain, like up and down steep slopes, mud, across streams, it could be helpful. And equipment might be spread out over several miles on a pipeline, if the hoe can't climb a steep hill, there will not always be a winch cat nearby to tow it up the hill. One other thing I can think of, although I never ran a trackhoe with grousers like that, I wonder if it would be better for working on mats? Maybe it would slide less?

  7. #7cps2010-11-02 19:18

    Like said before, maybe they use this excavator on slopes and the extra grip helps! Or heres a thought, maybe they had an old set of dozer tracks laying about and decided to get that last bit of life out of them!!

  8. #8EGS2010-11-02 19:50

    Man I wish my 345 had singles like that. Sure would be nice rather then the ice skate triples.

  9. #9adam215842010-11-02 21:37

    logging equipment road builders use single grouser tracks allot.