Good day to you all, I am swapping the engine in my 246b with a used one. Used one has about 3k hours on it. Runs good at the moment. But, before I stuff it back in there wondering what wear parts I should change out. Already planning to do front and rear main seals. Pulled the oil pan off and gave it a good paint job. Checked the main/con rod bearings - those feel tight. Turbo bearing is good. Gonna check the valve lash next. What else should I do while I have 360 degree access to it? Thanks much!
Did you see oil pressure of replacement engine? "Feeling tight" is not checking the connecting rods. Undo the cap and inspect the bearing surface. Same goes for the main bearings. Make sure you have a properly calibrated torque wrench when attempting this job. Do one at a time, maybe take a photo, to document, then re tighten to correct spec. If you find any worn ones, and crank is in good shape, this would be the time to replace.
Have a read through the following post for some more ideas on what to check / change out while you are doing your motor exchange. HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks for the input! I’ll have a check of those bearings. Do you think it’s worth doing a plastigauge check since I’ll have the caps off anyway?
Pull at least some of the main & rod bearing caps off. Take photos of the bearing surface of the shells and post them up. If you have the oil pan off take a good look at the oil pump and oil suction line. Oil pump failures were "a thing" on this model. These engines did not have a good reputation for reliability. Trust nothing on an unknown used engine would be my approach.
Pulled the caps off and they look good to me. Example photo attached.
Rods show their wear on top , mains on bottom . Does this engine have that crank tone wheel thats bad about coming loose? I might be thinking about a newer version.
It may pay you to read this thread in regard to the engine oil pump. I think this is the same engine as yours. HeavyEquipmentForums
Thanks all - no tone ring on this engine I don’t think. There’s no crank position sensor anyway. Thanks for the link. I’ll give it a read.
I think this is a different engine. The 246B has the Mitsubishi S4S engine. I think the older Cat skids had the Perkins but that’s just from what my research indicates - you can hold my experience with this in a thimble.