Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 350 final drive.

texacotrav ยท 2025-02-22 12:42

I have a final drive that has a dent on the side from the excavator bucket. It's not making any noise. I just want to replace it. Can I just swap the cover out horizontally or need to pull and do it vertically?

Replies6
  1. #1texacotrav2025-02-22 12:50

    The machine is only a year old.

  2. #2Nige2025-02-22 13:44

    Do you have any oil analysis results.? I think unless SOS indicated high iron to suggest that the cover is rubbing against something inside the final drive I would leave it as it is.

  3. #3texacotrav2025-02-22 13:48

    It had some fine metal on the drain plug magnets. I stuck a camera inside and it was rubbing.

  4. #4Nige2025-02-22 13:59

    In that case.......... Please post a Serial Number for a parts breakdown. Or alternatively you could simply remove the cover, heat it up with the gas axe and bend it back straight again. I think if you are careful you ought to be able to R&I that cover without too much trouble. Some good globs of grease always help to keep gears, etc, in position when reassembling.

  5. #5texacotrav2025-02-22 14:08

    Serial number hdj00132. I bought a new cover

  6. #6Nige2025-02-22 14:52

    See attached. Getting the cover off and back on again doesn't look too bad. Personally I would park the machine on a slight cross-slope so that the cover has to be pulled off and will tend to fall back on to a certain extent.